Windows Password

bigclimber 13:44 16 Aug 06

My computer has packed up and I have decided to get a new one.

I am currently accessing the seperate sectors of my hard drive by using it as a slave in my parents PC to get at my photos and games etc.

The problem I have is I cannot access 'My Documents' as I had them put in a user area with a password on it.

I use XP - how can I get around this to retrieve them and put them on my new hard drive...?

Cheers for your help,
Steve

GaT7 13:48 16 Aug 06

Copy the folder to your parents' PC & try opening it from there, giving the necessary permissions if applicable. G

bigclimber 14:21 16 Aug 06

Thanks for the reply G,

Unfortunatly I have tries that and a warning box comes up simply saying that 'Access is denied't will allow me to cop but trying to paste it onto my parents drive gives me the warning symbol.

Any other ideas??

brundle 14:23 16 Aug 06

you need to `take ownership` of the folders/files
click here

GaT7 14:23 16 Aug 06

Right-click the folder > select Properties. Click on the Sharing & Security tabs & change their settings as applicable. G

Terry Brown 14:24 16 Aug 06

Will the transfer files + settings wizard help ?

spuds 14:44 16 Aug 06

Could be completely wrong here, but SIW click here can sometimes help in a situation like this?.

GaT7 14:48 16 Aug 06

Thanks spuds, that seems like a really useful utility - off to download & try it : ) G

bigclimber 15:08 16 Aug 06

Thats a really good piece of software...I have downloaded it onto my parents PC and it has told me everything.

The thing is, I don't think it is going to help greatly my end because I can't get onto my PC to do this...becoming a right pain now!

mmm...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…