Windows Password

1jacks64 14:33 28 Sep 03

Why is it that when I have set up a password on my Dell Dimension Windows 98 second edition that you only have to press cancel instead of entering the password and pressing OK one is able to access the system as though no password was even entered?

Any tips on this would be really appreciated as I want to ensure that people not authorised to use my computer are able to access my files etc.

MAJ 14:44 28 Sep 03

That's the problem with Win98 SE, 1jacks64, it's not secure. If you want better security you'll have to upgrade to Win 2000 or XP.

Proxy worm 17:10 28 Sep 03

i'm afraid thats how it is but go to click here and ask them

Djohn 18:27 28 Sep 03

If you really need Password protection then it will be better to set from the BIOS, this is more difficult to bypass. j.

1jacks64 18:30 28 Sep 03

Please explain what the BIOS is?

Djohn 18:41 28 Sep 03

click here BIOS is [Basic input output system] it can usually be accessed from tapping your Del. key on startup.

You will see a screen that needs the keyboard to navigate. Use the Up/Down/Left/Right keys to move around. Use the Enter key for yes and Escape key for no. By looking in the BIOS you will see the option to set a Password. Choose one and then exit from the BIOS with the "Exit and save" command.

If you think you have made a mistake, or altered anything you should not have done, then don't worry, just use the "Exit without save" command. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…