Windows optional components

hilco3 18:50 18 May 06

When I try to install windows XP Pro optional components setup asks for the disk and then says it cannot find the file. The same thing happens when I try to install straight from the disk (genuine).
Can any body help me please.

Jackcoms 18:52 18 May 06

Which optional components are you trying to install?

hilco3 21:30 18 May 06

Any component but I am trying to add Outlook Express to try and resolve a problem for a friend. I use Thnderbird

Joe R 21:43 18 May 06

outlook express should be installed automatically with XP.

Right click on the taskbar, select toolbars and click on quick launch. Outlook express should appear on the bottom left of your taskbar.

You can also access it by going to your C drive, select program files and browse to the outlook express folder.

hilco3 21:56 18 May 06

I uninstalled OE using Add/ Remove windows components as I wanted to use Thunderbird instead. I use quick launch but only have the apps that I use on it. The OE program is not in the OE folder. I have tried other windows compnents and they all fail after asking for the disc even when I browse to the i386 folder and can see the required file.

Joe R 22:02 18 May 06

click here

hilco3 22:39 18 May 06

Thanks Joe R but that didn't work either as when I try to install it a message says Ihave a newer version of Internet explorer. Even if I can get OE back I still can't use add/remove programs to install windows compnents as it fails with all windows components and being a silver surfer I'm getting rather confused as to why windows will not install the components as it used to without asking for the disc

ashdav 23:51 18 May 06

why not educate your friend about the benefits of Thunderbird and kill two birds with one stone ?

Stuartli 00:09 19 May 06

If you wish to install Outlook Express, you need to leave it as the Default mail program until Thunderbird has been installed. You then export the OE settings into T'bird.

Exactly the same for Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Afterwards you can nominate T'bird and Firefox as the default mail program and browser.

Stuartli 00:11 19 May 06

Sorry, that should read: "If you wish to install Thunderbird, you have to leave Outlook Express as the Default mail programe until T'bird has been then export the OE settings into T'bird".

hilco3 09:48 19 May 06

Thanks for all the answers about OE, I am but that hasn't solved the real problem as I think I concentrated on OE too much. I still can't find a way to change or install any windows components using either ADD/Remove or from the Windows XP Pro disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…