Windows OEM purchase

willo500 11:45 01 Oct 07

Hi

I want to buy a copy of Windows XP home and was lead to believe that I could buy a OEM copy and install that. However when I tried to buy one from Overclock they told me I couldn't and that they would only sell me one with a new system or major component.

Now I am confused. Can anyone advise me how I should proceed?

Thanks

Willie

ventanas 12:17 01 Oct 07

Not exactly correct. The option to sell OEM Windows with a major component was stopped by Microsoft about two years ago. OEM is only available to system builders. If you want a copy you will have to buy retail.

birdface 12:27 01 Oct 07

If you are using Windows XP It would be cheaper to up-grade.What system are you using now. And do you have a COA sticker on the side of your computer with the proper keycode on it.

rambus 12:54 01 Oct 07

go to ebay and search "xp oem" you will find pages of them for sale, thats where i get mine . never had any problem activating or registering

willo500 13:15 01 Oct 07

Hi. Thanks for the replies.I want to run it on a mac. I do have an OEM version on an old Dell PC which I never use anymore. Would I be able to use this?

Willie

ventanas 13:48 01 Oct 07

In a word - No.

And don't risk ebay, they are all illegal.

rambus 13:54 01 Oct 07

ventanas, why do you dvise against ebay, as i said in my earlier post i have bought from them and had no problem in activation or registering ?

Batch 13:58 01 Oct 07

I got mine (WinXP Home SP2, OEM) from click here - no need to buy any hardware and seemingly legit (as ebuyer are one of the major retail vendors).

Just type xp sp2 oem into the product search.

hmsabry 14:06 01 Oct 07

I bought many OEM copies of Windows from the local market, I never had a problem with finding them, installing, registering or activiting them.

Snec 14:18 01 Oct 07

Many sellers on eBay are businesses. As above I have bought several OEM OSs from eBay. Ignore the rediculous comment from ventanas about them being illeagal.

In any case you can buy OEM XP from many places, and the only difference from a retail version is the money left in your wallet. I can never understand why anyone buys a retail version.

Bear in mind though that an OEM OS cannot be transfered to anothere machine once it has been used.

1234s282 16:32 05 Oct 07

Just to add to what Snec was saying , OEM versions dont have any technical support from microsoft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…