windows ntfs.sys missing

ellie82 20:44 20 Nov 08

Hi,

In the middle of a system repair with the windows disk in the drive. I am trying fix a ntfs.sys file missing problem. the laptop will not boot as you would expect, it obviously goes round in a loop.

However when i have got to the c:\windows section i am typing e:(which i am guessing will be the cd drive letter)\\Windows\i386\nfts.sys but it just says path or file specified is not valid.

Any ideas on the best way forward

ellie82 21:09 20 Nov 08

update- so i actually replaced that file using recovery console and the exited the recovery console. i booted the pc and then it gives me several selections of boot in last known good, safe mode etc, i selected both of these modes and then it just boots back round again. stating theta system 32\drivers\ntfs.sys is corrupt or missing.

can i reload the same version of windows on the current os partition? that isnt advisable is it?

May i add that chkdsk states the drive is fine, have had it attached to anothe pc via ide to usb and extracted all the data.

Any ideas?

brundle 21:11 20 Nov 08

Normally it would be compressed on the XP CD but is one of the few files that isn't, and it's not in a Windows folder.

Copy e:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\

MsTechie 21:11 20 Nov 08

Which version of Windows are you using?

brundle 21:12 20 Nov 08

Install to the same partition if necessary,yes.

ellie82 21:20 20 Nov 08

its xp home edition

when i go into the windows setup it does say its not recommended to have more that one installation on one partition. should i ignore that?

I managed the e:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and it hasnt resolved the problem. i selected y to replace current.

MsTechie 21:26 20 Nov 08

Yes you can safely replace the current installation, as long as it doesn't ask you to format the C:\ drive.

ellie82 21:33 20 Nov 08

so when i install on that partition it will replace it will it? it doesnt give the option for replacement, just lists the partitions, one of which is c: i pressume i should install it on here.

MsTechie 19:16 21 Nov 08

You should be given an option to repair the current installation - meaning it will install a copy of Windows over the the one already installed without deleting any of your personal files and folders

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…