Windows NT / Linux

Ex plorer 17:58 26 Feb 06

Hi I have a spare PC or so can someone tell me what Windows NT stands for and if its a worth while program learning its for the fun of it and maybe to learn something different.

I have also seen Linux what is the best programs to buy and get started with, again its for the fun of it.
What is the minimu PC requirements for the above two.

Ex

bremner 18:03 26 Feb 06

NT stand sfor New Technology and is basically an earlier version of XP. So I wouldn't bother.

As for Linux I would download a distro onto a CD and run from there just to get a flavour. I use a knoppix variation but I am sure others will have good suggestions

Haol 18:04 26 Feb 06

I belive that NT stands for N-Ten. If you want to run Linux it depends of what Linux you want to run, most Linux distributions are able to run on low end PC's. Most Linux distributions are free and so are the programs that run on them. It sounds like this will eb the first time you will be running Linux so I suggest you go with Ubuntu click here or SuSE click here the two of them are easy for beginners.

Haol 18:06 26 Feb 06

Damn I got the code name, I just realised the connection between New Technology and eXperience.

bremner 18:10 26 Feb 06

Wikipedia click here

Ex plorer 18:23 26 Feb 06

Thanks for the guide Linux looks more intresting so I will go that way.

Ex

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…