Windows not starting

gemb 21:50 28 Aug 05

Could someone help please.

My friends computer has shut down and will not start. This is the infomation displayed on screen.

Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt. file system32/drivers/PCI.SYS

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set-up using the original cd-rom, select R at the first screen to repair.

She has tried this but it does not work. Does she need to formatt her computer? If so how do you do this?

THE TERMINATOR 22:00 28 Aug 05

You have to boot from the cd-rom. Is this what you are doing?

VoG II 22:08 28 Aug 05
  gemb 22:12 28 Aug 05

thank you the terminator and voG
She has not bott from cd-rom, i will pass this info onto my friend.

THE TERMINATOR 22:23 28 Aug 05

She will need to change the boot options in her BIOS, to do this press DEL key on boot-up, when the message appears "Press DEL to enter SET-UP". She will have to change the boot options to something like CD-ROM,C,A save the BIOS and continue booting, and when she see's this message "Boot from CD......"(without the quotes) then she has to press the ENTER key and the pc will boot from the XP disk..(making sure it is in the drive).

I'm having same problem and have finally managed to work out how to boot from CD.

I originally got the message - the file windows root\system32\hal.dll is missing/corrupt - please reload (this was after MacaFee virus scan spotted a trojan + deleted teh file (?)

I've run chdsk which has crrected an error but now I'm getting the message windows\system32\config\system missing

Any help plse? (be gentle with me, I know SFA about computers

thanks

g

I'm having same problem and have finally managed to work out how to boot from CD.

I originally got the message - the file windows root\system32\hal.dll is missing/corrupt - please reload (this was after MacaFee virus scan spotted a trojan + deleted teh file (?)

I've run chdsk which has crrected an error but now I'm getting the message windows\system32\config\system missing

Any help plse? (be gentle with me, I know SFA about computers

thanks

g

VoG II 23:22 28 Aug 05
  gemb 10:50 29 Aug 05

She has re-boot form CD-ROM then this message appears on blue screen.

This set-up cannot be completed the error code is 14
the set-up cannot be loaded.

Any help please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…