Windows not loading

DAKAR 22:00 03 Jun 10

Hi everyone
I switched on this evening and all worked well
I got a message telling me AVG needed to up date I accepted and let it go ahead,when I returned later there was very bad display on the monitor and a message saying display driver invalid.I tried booting again and got a message saying input not supported and then going on to the page asking if I wanted to start in SAFE mode or Start Windows Normally etc I tried restore in safe mode but it would not for some reason.
The operating system is XP SP3
Any help is greatly appreciated as usual
Regards
Dakar

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 03 Jun 10

try in safe mode

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

DAKAR 22:31 03 Jun 10

evening Fruit Bat,
am I doing something wrong I cannot get the run box in safe mode?
Regards
Dakar

littlephoenix 05:11 04 Jun 10

you can restore your windows to a previous working date, have you triedthis?
go to click here and search under "how to restore windows"
hope that helps

shakeshake 07:56 04 Jun 10

yeah! try system restore.. maybe it would help you.
click here

DAKAR 17:25 04 Jun 10

Thanks littlephoenix and shakeshake,
But as I mentioned in my first post I have tried to restore in safe mode but for some reason Its not letting me restore.
Any other ideas?
regards
Dakar

DAKAR 20:45 07 Jun 10

Hi Everyone
Further to my post about windows problem,I gave my pc to a technician to look at and he diagnosed the graphics card was faulty,he phoned this evening to say pc is ready for collection.
Thought I would let you know in case anybody else has the same problem.
Thanks again for help and advice
Regards
Dakar

woodchip 20:53 07 Jun 10

What you may have thought with AVG may have been a Virus downloading asking for the go ahead

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…