Windows not loading

algernonymous 12:22 20 Mar 07

After going through the POST text stuff the last line says 'Bypassing windows start-up files' (or words to that effect), it then flashes the Win 98 screen (I am upgrading soon- honest!) and then whereas the desktop would next appear, it is just remaining blank, although there is much activity from the hard disk light. ?

Chris147 16:16 20 Mar 07

Hi algernonymous,

the extensive hard-disk activity (if this is indeed the case, it is called 'Disk Thrashing') suggests one of two things - 1) There is too much information on the Hard Drive and not enough space left for the Page File (virtual memory), or 2) the Hard Drive itself has become corrupt.

Investigate booting with Bart's PE (downloadable) - this will allow you to diagnose the errant drive. If there is less than 1.5GB left on it, delete some files. If you can't read it, it's dead. If you can read it, and there's plenty of space left, try running fdisk with the "/mbr" switch to fix the boot sector. This last bit is on the Win 98 boot floppy.

HTH,
Chris.

algernonymous 17:05 20 Mar 07

Hi Chris,

Apparently Bart's PE does not run on Windows NT4/ME/9x ?

Thanks,
Alan

uesquebeathus 17:50 20 Mar 07

a slax linux live cd will give you enough tools to look through your drive and either delete unwanted items or defrag the drive , after you download it burn it to a disc then boot to the cd Slax will then start up.
download from here
click here

algernonymous 19:55 20 Mar 07

When I last looked I'd used about 14gb of the 80 it has. I also have a 10gb backup drive so I'm hoping all my photo's are OK.
I can get into safe mode- can I do anything from there?

Will also try the slax, thanks uesquebeathus.

algernonymous 11:26 21 Mar 07

bump

brundle 11:31 21 Mar 07

check drive for problems with manufacturer's diagnostic, the tools suggested are useful but won't tell you what problems are present on the drive (if any);
click here

algernonymous 12:17 21 Mar 07

Can't use cd drive (only got safe mode) so can't use slax.
Got Acronis installed (from a free download from another mag a couple of weeks ago) but haven't used it yet, just ran it and it came back with 'Acronis has not found any disk drives'?
C:(80gb) & D:(10gb) both appear on safe mode desktop.

algernonymous 13:06 21 Mar 07

From a previous Belarc I'd saved it tells me the drive is WDC- is that Western Digital?
However just ran Belarc again and it comes back with 'no drives detected'

algernonymous 13:23 21 Mar 07

CORRECTION- Belarc is detecting the capacity of the drives and used/available space but not their makes/model no's. The 'no drives detected' was for the cd drives.

algernonymous 15:59 21 Mar 07

What's it best to run first- scandisk or disk defrag cos it looks like they'll both take a few hours?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now