windows not genuine message

willo500 21:42 11 May 07

Hi
I keep getting a message that the version of Windows XP I am running is not genuine. I don't really know why, it was bought from Dell with the pc but Microsoft seem to be convinced it is phoney. They have asked me to go through quite a rigmarole typing various file names after the CMD prompt so that it tells me things are all right. Unfortunately, after doing this, things just stay the same and I get a reminder that my copy is "not genuine".

I don't know if this is Msoft or some hoax

I wish I had a mac!!

Willie

malcolme 21:56 11 May 07

Have you by any chance changed any parts in the PC.

jarani 21:59 11 May 07

Why don't you ring Dell and ask them about it ? - jarani

billyliv 08:11 12 May 07

Hi, If you can recieve updates and your firewall allows genuine advantage internet access, disable it. but only if you can receive updates. Otherwise as already stated contact Dell. Cheers, Bill

PP321 08:38 12 May 07

be very carefull and make sure its not phoney, like this

click here

Like jarani said, why dont you just phone them??

willo500 19:38 12 May 07

I will phone them on Monday and find out what is what. The message seems to have stopped now after I did the routine checking files again
Willie

willo500 19:39 12 May 07

It wasn't phoney in appearance and certainly didn't ask for credit card details or anything. I'm not sure what happened now but as I say it seems fine at the moment

Willie

setecio 19:42 12 May 07

PP321 interesting link. Even more confusing when that is exactly what MS are legitimately doing on their Office live products, asking for credit card details but not charging.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…