Windows no longer supporting XP

Laurence WM 10:33 19 Mar 14

On 8 April Windows will stop supporting XP:

click here I replace XP on my PC?

A couple of friends have said no need. Eventually I might want apps that aren't compatible with XP, but until then it's just a matter of security. One friend has said that if I have Malwarebytes (free software) and run it frequently I should be okay (but Malwarebytes' site indicates that it should be used in conjunction with a regular anti-virus device [can you recommend a good one, preferably free?]). Another friend said that virus creators would not be interested in targeting XP.

Or should I download a more recent version of Windows? The Microsoft compatibility test informed me that it should be possible to install Windows 8 on my PC, but then stated that it wasn't available for download in this country. So how would I obtain a download for Windows 7 or 8? What sort of price?

Many thanks, Laurence

1]: [click here

Should

wiz-king 13:10 19 Mar 14

You can leave it another couple of years. link

Laurence WM 14:36 19 Mar 14

Thanks wiz-king.

From the linked article it's hard to tell whether the reduced support continuing until July 2015 will be sufficient to keep the PC safe.

Laurence

wee eddie 16:03 19 Mar 14

You need an Anti Virus that supports XP and Malwarebytes will remove any Spyware etc. You should be able to operate both for free

Laurence WM 21:42 19 Mar 14

Cheers Eddie!

Recommendations of a free anti-virus, anyone?

Thanks, Laurence

muddypaws 16:25 20 Mar 14

If you happen to have a Barclays account Kaspersky full version comes free and updated annually. So far.

nickf 20:29 20 Mar 14

I strongly recommend replacing XP , there are many zero day vulnerabilities waiting to be used on XP after 08.04. . As far as AV programs are concerned , you get what you pay for ! Although the Barclays / Kaspersky deal is a good one . If you try out W 8.1 you will realise how slow and clunky XP really is .

rdave13 23:08 20 Mar 14

Laurence WM , Avast free version still works for me on XP. Firewall, might be no longer be updated but not a worry. Free Malwarebytes , paid for I recommend. Spywareblaster also.

After April turn off automatic updates in services. XP will run a bit faster.

Enjoy for another few years until your machine goes belly up.

Laurence WM 14:18 21 Mar 14

Many thanks for all of these helpful comments.

Anyone else got any thoughts? Evidently there is no consensus.

Unfortunately I am not with Barclays.

rdave13 wrote: 'Free Malwarebytes, paid for I recommend. Spywareblaster also.'

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'paid for I recommend' here, rdave.

I've downloaded what appeared to be free software from Malwarebytes, but confusingly now I've downloaded it it claims to be a 14-day trial. Will I have to pay to retain it after all?

Do other people agree with Nickf about 'zero day' vulnerabilities? I've read articles to that effect, but maybe they're scaremongering. And does the extension until July 2015 affect this?

Re turning off automatic updates, would that mean I wouldn't get the extended protection that wiz-king mentions?

Many thanks again, Lawrence

rdave13 20:14 21 Mar 14

The 'trial' version of Malwarebytes is just that. It will update automatically and protect from sites that have been 'compromised' for want of a better word. Bad scripts on the web page that can infect the PC if either 'clicked' on or nowadays will run automatically if the webmaster isn't aware of. Worth continuing with the trial and I think it is about £16 for a one off payment for life. If still available. Some here have suggested that it will go to a yearly subscription before long.

I do believe the the extention is for China only.

After April turning off auto updates will boost XP's performance. If you don't it will 'hunt' for a non-existent service.

I will use XP until the machine that runs it dies of old electronic age and not before.

rdave13 20:27 21 Mar 14

PS, I also use Trustier Rapport but on my netbook, with a lowly CPU, it makes IE8 very slow. Use another browser, such as Firefox, as a modern browser and revert to IE if and when needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced