Windows networking not working all of the time

CLONNEN 08:09 22 Aug 04

I recently bought the Packard Bell net2plug home networking kit.

I ran the installation CD on both my XP and ME computers. The CD ejected after it had copied the files to the computer and then the rest of the installation proceeded as it should complete with restarts. Noth adaptors have the same password as stated in the instructions. Different names have been set for each computer.

I also set up internet connection sharing through the Windows Network Setup wizard with the same workgroup name on both computers. The internet worked on the remote machine the first time we ran it but later when we tried to connect again it was no longer seeing the other computer on the network and refused to connect to the internet. ie the icon doesn't appear in the system tray on the ME computer but it did appear on the XP computer which has the physical modem.

Much later the internet sharing seemed to be working again. Why does it not work all the time? I haven't changed any of the settings from when it was first setup. All we did was turn off both computers to have lunch. When we came back and switched on the computers the network was no longer working properly. Both computers are switched on so what is its problem? The two USB adaptors have been switched on continuously by the way since there is nothing in the Packard Bell documentation about whether it is safe to switch them off.

johnsims 08:14 22 Aug 04

Sometimes it takes Windows an age to come to grips with the fact that networking is established. Other times it can be almost instant. If you are missing the network after booting, it may just be that you havn't waited long enough.

CLONNEN 08:19 22 Aug 04

Is there any way to speed up the network detection process so that it can be used straight away? Very annoying having to wait an hour for the network to start functioning properly.

johnsims 08:32 22 Aug 04

An hour does seem excessive. On my set up it can be as much as 5 or 10 minutes on accasions, but never had to wait as long as an hour. Sorry, don't know of anything to speed up the process. Have you checked the HP site to see if there are any updated drivers for the adapters?

mgmcc 08:59 22 Aug 04

<< All we did was turn off both computers to have lunch. When we came back and switched on the computers the network was no longer working properly. Both computers are switched on so what is its problem? >>

If you are using Internet Connection Sharing, the 'client' PC will get its IP address automatically by DHCP from the 'host' PC. It is therefore necessary that the 'host' PC is booted first so the 'client' can get an IP address and the network function.

CLONNEN 10:07 22 Aug 04

We tried restarting the host computer and waiting until the desktop was fully loaded before rebooting the remote computer but even so still takes ages to detect each other or doesn't detect at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…