Windows Movie Maker - order of pictures

collinsc 18:04 14 Aug 10

Hi

I'm putting together a slide show of 3 sets of pictures (taken by different people). I have spent hours sorting them so they are in a logical order, i've now come to load them in to WMM but they import by time taken. I want them to be ordered as per the way i have ordered them in the file. Can anyone advise how this can be done?

Related to this project, can anyone advise on adding captions to a slideshow? REF: click here

Advice greatly appreciated.

DieSse 19:15 14 Aug 10

In WMM you normally order them when you drag them onto the timeline (ie drag them on in the order you wish).

"I want them to be ordered as per the way i have ordered them in the file."

I presume you mean as you ordered them in the folder. You can't order files within a folder - you can change the order they are displayed on the screen, but that doesn't actually move them around with the folder.

DieSse 19:17 14 Aug 10

move them around with the folder = move them around within the folder

I should have said.

DieSse 19:23 14 Aug 10

"adding captions"

I've not done this, but I read in the help that you use the overlay section in the timeline.

lotvic 21:41 14 Aug 10

I think you have to first give the pics numbers 1001Fred, 1002Ben, etc in each of your folders to have them sorted in the order that you want.

After you have the imported the first folder of pics in the Collection window, click on View and dropdown menu > Arrange Icons by: and choose Name
then you can click on Edit > select all and just drag to the first box on the storyboard
and it will fill all the rest of the boxes with each picture in the order that you want 1001Fred, 1002Ben, etc

Then you can do the same for the other Folders of Pics that you want to include, but just drop into the next empty storyboard box (or should that be called a frame?)

collinsc 12:48 15 Aug 10

"In WMM you normally order them when you drag them onto the timeline (ie drag them on in the order you wish)." - right, so i can drag them individually on or i could rename them all in to sequence as per other comment.

DieSse - ergarding captions, can you please advise how this is done and i'll experiment.

thanks

DieSse 22:26 15 Aug 10

"so i can drag them individually on"

Yes (I would do it this way if t'were me, as you can't go wrong!).

"or i could rename them all in to sequence"

I don't know - but if you want to do it this way, I suggest you try if with 4 or 5 before committing yourself to a long renaming exercise.

"ergarding captions, can you please advise how this is done"

As I said, I haven't done this, so I can't offer any help, sorry.

lotvic 00:16 16 Aug 10

I think it is called 'Title Overlay' not caption.
You can give each picture a different title.
In Timeline View, You select the picture and then select Titles and credits from the Tools menu

if you click on Select Title Font and Color you can choose the position as well.
In Choose the Title Animation there are further options, like Ticker Tape, News Banner, etc etc.

I am just learning WMM too so am discovering bits and pieces

lotvic 10:52 16 Aug 10

I have started a new project just using 4 pics to practice on (as per DieSse's advice - thanks for that tip). This has made it much easier to learn the different menus as hardly any waiting time to play a preview etc.

How are you progressing with yours?

BT 16:35 16 Aug 10

..website has lots of information etc for WMM and Photostory3

click here

collinsc 17:50 16 Aug 10

thanks guys, lots of tips there, i'll have to get stuck in and give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced