Windows Millenium?

SallyC 12:10 24 Sep 10

Have just bought a Compaq Presario 1200 notebook/laptop for my niece which has Windows Millenium loaded on it. I have checked the Microsoft site & see that this is an early operating system & not supported by MS.
Would Millenium be adequate for light internet use, she wouldn't be using it for gaming or downloading music/films etc. I will also need to load Works for her so she can write letters on it.
I already have 2 laptops, one with XP professional & the other XP home. I have startup discs for both & both are licensed. If Millenium is problematic, can I use one of the XPs on the same license or would I have to buy another one?
Any advise/experience would be very helpful. Many thanks

Jollyjohn 14:47 24 Sep 10

Windows Me will work. If you need an antivirus program for it look at Clamwin. I have used it for a W98 pc and it works well.
If you dont have a copy of Works, have a look at Open Office, not the latest version though.
If you wanted to use WXP you would have to buy another licence but having just looked at the specifications for the laptop I doubt XP would install.

Ex plorer 15:43 24 Sep 10

Hi for win Me Open Office click here

SallyC 18:59 24 Sep 10

Thanks both - much appreciated.
Jollyjohn - our 2 laptops have AVG free, Comodo firewall & superantispyware. Would I be able to load these OK given the limitations of the Presario?

sharpamat 09:38 25 Sep 10

If the original licences were OEM the answer is no even with early OS systems you can only reinstall one if the original is a full licence and has been removed and will not be used

Jollyjohn 10:05 25 Sep 10

Hi

I have found AVG, which I used for years, too be too demanding for older computers.
click here is a link to ClamWin

Terry Brown 10:26 25 Sep 10

I have used Win ME on an old computer for a long time as a word processor, and it works fine, and internet (restricted to IE6)or another browser.
I have attached a link for browsers.

click here=

If you load windows XP on it, you may find that it will run very slow.

If you need a copy of Win ME, I have one in my 'OLD' box (I don't use it now), which you can have.

You will also need a floppy drive, if you do not have one I can put the boot system on a CD for you.
All I require is a SAE (A5) size to post it you.

Contact me Via the Yellow envelope

Terry

DippyGirl 14:20 25 Sep 10

If its a low powered machine - why not try a linux distro?
Ubuntu click here will give you a windows type desktop with pre-loaded applications like Firefox and OpenOffice, GIMP
So if all you want is to browse internet and do some word processing you are ready to go.
You could download and burn a live CD and try it out, then if you like it install over ME or set to dual boot
(I think you can now run it as a standard windows application - though I havent tried that and unsure if it's possible under ME )

SallyC 12:12 26 Sep 10

Thanks to everyone for their responses, much appreciated.
I now have the notebook - it has avast!Antivirus loaded and Mircrosoft Word. It also has a BT Voyager 1020 Wireless adaptor.
I have been trying for a couple of hours to connect to the internet with no success. The Green Wireless icon is showing at the bottom right & it says it is connected to my network, but I cannot access the internet.
I have been into Control Panel & can't see any Icons for wireless network card although Voyager Adaptor is showing as being installed OK.
Belkin instructions says : Start/Settings/Network & dial-up connections
I only get : start/settings/dial-up networking - when I click on that it says
Make a New Connection and BTClickC
When I click on New Connection it comes up with:
Standard 1200 bps Modem or Compaq 56K HSF Mini PCI Modem
Whichever I click on then takes me through a dial-up setup not wireless.
I have searched on the web for Me wifi set up help but really not getting anywhere.
Would appreciate any help please
many thanks Sally

Jollyjohn 16:23 26 Sep 10

Hi

This is a kink to the BT Voyager page click here You could try downloading the driver and installing it again.

On another pc access the Belkin router set up page and check wireless is on and switch off authentication - remember to re enable this later - make a note of the ssid, this is the name of the wireless net work you will be trying to connect to.

On the laptop right click on the wireless icon and this should give some connection options. Pick the ssid of the belkin and hopefully it will connect.

Jollyjohn 16:26 26 Sep 10

Mark this as resolved and concentrate on the thread in networking - it gets confusing otherwise!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac