Windows messenger missing

zemdarin 22:31 02 Sep 05

Since I downloaded MSN messenger I can't seem to find or open my windows messenger. I have looked in Add/Remove windows components and the box is still ticked as I haven't stopped it working. Have I got something missing??

Strawballs 23:02 02 Sep 05

Why do you want both MSN is far better I had the exact opposite problem could not get rid of windows messenger

Ade_1 23:06 02 Sep 05

zem im having same problem i cant find it... i might need to use windows messenger for another account which i sometimes go on aswell as my current one...

Ade_1 23:07 02 Sep 05

forgot to add on, its easy enough to get again, go to start>control panel>add or remove programs nad select Add/Remove Windows Components and you select windows messenger only and follow on screen instructions :)

zemdarin 10:17 03 Sep 05

Thanks for replies. Ade_1 if you read my first posting I have already said that I have done that. Its not about what's best I am asking, it is where has it gone and why? I know MSN is better than Windows Messenger as it allows me to play checkers with my grandaughter.
I needed to solve the problem of why W/Messenger is missing, they used to both be in the taskbar together. I also know I can turn windows off or get rid of it altogether if I want with registry tweaks, but I don't want that.

mattyc_92 10:23 03 Sep 05

The files for Messenger is located in "C:\Program Files\Messenger"

You will need to double-click the *.exe file (can't remember what the file-name is and I have removed it from my system)

The shortcuts were probably just removed.

zemdarin 10:46 03 Sep 05

Hi Mattyc_92 I have never removed the file or it's shortcuts, it is still in my "C:\Program Files\Mesenger" but when you click on it nothing happens anymore. I was wondering if it is the new MSN Messenger 7.5 that has somehow disengaged it. The shortcut is in my All_Programs right next to MSN messengers icon and it doesn't open from there either. Click on it, the eggtimer appears then just goes off.

VoG II 10:57 03 Sep 05

Try downloading click here

zemdarin 12:04 03 Sep 05

Hi VoG thanks for the link. I downloaded 5.1 after verification of windows. Closed everything down as instructed using task manager, then installed the latest version with exactly the same result. I know the new Windows Messenger is on my computer but will not respond when I try to open it. I have uninstalled it, then reinstalled it in Windows components, and it still won't work. I have also tried to uninstall MSN messenger, from within Control Panel Add/remove it uninstalled successfully but on closing my computer and rebooting, it was still there without any reference to it at all in Add/Remove. I know my computer is clean from viruses and adware as I do it quite regularly. I have only had the problem since downloading the latest MSN Messenger. Running PC Tools Spyware Doctor shows that MSN messenger is supposed to be full of bugs, but I don't quite believe that, most probably false positives. AdAware or Spybot doesn't show them at all and my Avast doesn't pick up anything either. This is a real mystery

Jackcoms 12:19 03 Sep 05

Just out of interest, I installed MSN Messenger yesterday on a PC and a laptop. My daughters had been moaning that Windows Messenger was "so last century" (or something similar).

Windows Messenger is still there but MSN Messenger has now taken over as the default client.

zemdarin 12:31 03 Sep 05

Hi Jackcoms I am beginning to think that MSN Messenger is a little bit on the protect itself at all costs. Have you tried to uninstall it or run a check with SpyWare Doctor, thats if you have it. Does your Windows Messenger still open? It's not a big problem but I would like to know why my Windows Messenger no longer works and why can't I uninstall MSN messenger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…