Windows Messenger - annnoying 'New Version' Alert

Andybear 18:36 25 Mar 05

Every time I switch on my PC I get the following alert:

Windows Messenger. A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now?' It has a 'yes' and 'no' option and a buttons marked 'What's New' and 'OK'.

I don't use Windows Messenger and I've removed it from my system with 'Install or remove Windows components'. I always click on 'no' and 'OK' but unfortunately it just keeps happening. Can anyone suggest how I can stop it? It's not a major problem, just irritating. Many thanks.

georgemac © 18:41 25 Mar 05

click here try installing xp antispy and disabling the messenger service completely and unistalling completely using this app - hopefully it will work

I'd love to do this but the kids would kill me!

rawprawn 19:13 25 Mar 05

click here Download Tweakui, you can then turn messenger on or off at the click of a button.

rawprawn 19:18 25 Mar 05

Sorry I am not just sure about Tweakui, but download Adaware and then the plug in for messenger. That will turn it on and off.
click here

Andybear 21:09 25 Mar 05

Thanks for your responses. I'll check them out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…