Windows Messenger - annnoying 'New Version' Alert

Andybear 18:36 25 Mar 05

Every time I switch on my PC I get the following alert:

Windows Messenger. A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now?' It has a 'yes' and 'no' option and a buttons marked 'What's New' and 'OK'.

I don't use Windows Messenger and I've removed it from my system with 'Install or remove Windows components'. I always click on 'no' and 'OK' but unfortunately it just keeps happening. Can anyone suggest how I can stop it? It's not a major problem, just irritating. Many thanks.

georgemac © 18:41 25 Mar 05

click here try installing xp antispy and disabling the messenger service completely and unistalling completely using this app - hopefully it will work

I'd love to do this but the kids would kill me!

rawprawn 19:13 25 Mar 05

click here Download Tweakui, you can then turn messenger on or off at the click of a button.

rawprawn 19:18 25 Mar 05

Sorry I am not just sure about Tweakui, but download Adaware and then the plug in for messenger. That will turn it on and off.
click here

Andybear 21:09 25 Mar 05

Thanks for your responses. I'll check them out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…