Windows Messenger

diesel1948 20:29 05 Dec 05

Anyone know how to stop Windows Messenger loading up without it beeing asked for. My daughter must have done something to make it do this. It does not always start at boot up, but can just start anytime and as it starts it puts all her contacts in my address book in Outlook Express 6. When I sign out it removes them but on occassion it leaves some there. Any ideas.

jimv7 20:34 05 Dec 05

control panel/add remove/add remove windows elements, remove messengerfrom the list and say ok.

Download and install MSN Messenger if you wish to use it, more bells and whistles. In Tools/options tick the boxes for how you wish messenger to behave.

Audeal 21:50 05 Dec 05

How to remove "Windows Messenger" completely from computer:
Start, Run, type or paste in
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
and click OK.

007al 21:55 05 Dec 05

if you want to keep it on but stop it starting up,then open messenger,click tools-preferences-untick `run windows messenger when windows starts` and`allow windows messenger to run in the background`.

woodchip 21:56 05 Dec 05

Yes this should be turned off if you loaded SP2. But go to Start\Settings\Control Panel\Admin\services look down the list right click and disable it

diesel1948 23:40 05 Dec 05

Tried all methods, one worked, Audeal, how the hell do you come up with these solutions brother. Thank you problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…