windows messenger

pat2068 22:30 28 Sep 03

can anyone tell me how to remove win messenger my os is winxp and using norton internet security i want to use msn messenger6 but cant exit win messenger it tells me there are other programs using it thanks mary

VoG II 22:33 28 Sep 03

1. Click on the Start button and select Run.

2. Type

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

in the text box and click OK.

MAJ 22:34 28 Sep 03

This will show you, earthangle. click here

MAJ 22:35 28 Sep 03

I forgot about that one VoG. ;-)

Chegs ® 22:39 28 Sep 03

Cheers VoG,I looked for your previous posting of that line,and couldn't find it.I eventually had to use "ShootTheMessenger" from GRC,but I'm certain that one of XP's updates reactivates it.If its not installed then the update doesn't restart it.I saw your previous post on this,but never added it to "My Postings"I know I can remove it with add/remove windows components,but more options to rid XP of that hopeless addition.....

VoG II 22:43 28 Sep 03

Actually (a) "Windows Messenger" and (b) "Windows Messenger Service" are different animals. Shoot The Messenger only deals with (b).

Why Microsoft choose to use these confusing names is beyond me. Similarly there are at least 3 programs called "explorer" or similar - very confusing.

powerless 22:58 28 Sep 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…