drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n
VFH401R41LRVRH, rev V56OA7EA,
SMART Status: Healthy.
Display: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [Display
adapter]
HSP LM02 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n
734NLM02A0718, August 2007)

My system crashed 3 times yesterday - Blue screen
asking me to restart system. Each time on reboot I sent the pre-prepared error report to Microsoft. 1st 2 times they had no answers & said they were working to solved the problem. 3rd time I was told I had a RAM memory problem that could be hardwear or softwear. They suggested their Memory Diagnostic Tool.

I read the instructions and downloaded the Diagnostic Tool application (mtinst) and attempted to burn the required boot disc (file windiag.iso)- not having a floppy drive I was using my CD ROM. Each time I got the message 'can't open selected file'. I downloaded a further 5 fresh copies of the application but the same result was encountered each time.

So, I opted to put the windiag.iso file on my hard drive and copy it to the CD ROM from there. This appeared to work.

However, when I rebooted, with the CD ROM in place, all I get is the option to start in safe mode screen and then it goes on to start windows as usual.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions at all?

Many thanx

Kemistri 10:24 10 Mar 08

An ISO file is an optical disc image; you cannot just place it on a disc like any other file and expect it to work. Use your disc authoring program to burn an ISO image, an option which they all should have.

pgj 10:35 10 Mar 08

Hi Kemistri and thnx for help.

Where would I find this disc authoring program ? What am I looking for?
Cheers

Kemistri 11:48 10 Mar 08

OK, you just took me back there! What CD authoring program do you use? Nero? Ashampoo? You're not relying on Windows' basic CD writing "function" are you? It won't do anything beyond dump files to CDFS.

pgj 11:57 10 Mar 08

Sorry new PC not yet got anything like Nero/Ashampoo on it. Can I get these free or do I have to purchase them?
CDFS?

brundle 12:03 10 Mar 08

ImgBurn makes burning ISOs simple; click here
Though as Kemistri says, any decent 3rd party burning app ought to be able to burn them in the correct format.

pgj 13:24 10 Mar 08

Ok I have downloaded ImgBurn and burn the file to disc - Memory Diagnostic ran fine with out problem. Which is great from the point of solving one problem but I still have a new PC that Keep crashing???#
Guess I need to start a new subject about that.
Thanx again.

Kemistri 14:37 10 Mar 08

If it's a new purchase, which you didn't mention in the OP, why not just invoke your consumer rights or your warranty terms? One or the other, depending on what is most convenient and effective for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…