Windows Media Program

Les 20:25 07 Jun 07

My neighbour has just downloaded a film from his camera - it is, he says, an .avi file but , although he can hear the sound there are no pictures. Any ideas please?

Devil Fish 20:30 07 Jun 07

windows media player wont play avi by default you will need codecs for it or download quicktime player

try this player instead
click here

Les 21:11 07 Jun 07

I thought it was a film from his camcorder - it appears that it is a movie on his ordinary still digital camera.

I shot a very short film on my camcorder, downloaded it via Firewire into Easy Media Creator 7 , remdered it and the .ava file runs Ok in WMA.

I'll not see him now until tomorrow. I'll download his film on to my computer (if he's so wishes) and see what happens.

Thanks for your replies. Back to the TT on ITV4

Les 10:01 09 Jun 07

--- they worked on my computer.

But I noticed on his that icons did not hav the regular Windows Media logo - could it be, I wonder, that it's simply a matter of File Association?

It turns out, and you have to drag the info from him, that he upgraded from WMP9 to WMP11 some time ago - I don't know what he did, but, as always, he must have done it wrong.

I won't see him for a few days - he's rarely at home. I'll have a look at his file associations when, eventually, he's home for a while.

Les 10:03 09 Jun 07

correction !

But I noticed on his screen that icons did not have the regular Windows Media logo - could it be, I wonder, that it's simply a matter of File Association?

Les 23:12 11 Jun 07

I did eventually solve his problem by doing what Devil Fish suggested - well, actually, I stood over him and directed him what to do! I got him to search the net for suitable codecs - these we found, he downloaded it and it self installed with just a few clicks as and when necessary. Imagine his surprise when his films played - films taken of the festivities in Milan when AC Milan played Liverpool in Greece.

Thanls.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac