Windows Media Player wont play mp3s

hawthorn59 02:02 15 Oct 10

Help!

I have a brand new hard drive installed and a brand new copy of Windows 7 home premium installed.

For the 1st week or so it was fine. But now WMP 12 wont play mp3 files at all. I get this message

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

which I guess is standard. Until yesterday it all played perfectly. It WILL play music from a CD in the cd drive okay.
A few days ago Windows updated, and there were over 20 updates. But that has happened several times in the past and there never has been any issue. What Im saying is nothing out of the ordinary has happened as far as I can see. i googled and found several instances of this problem but i get lost when it starts to talk about codecs etc...I mean why doesnt the thing just WORK!!! Its a brand new setup!

Thanks in advance

h

hawthorn59 03:34 15 Oct 10

Downloaded it but it wouldnt install, as it said

the k-lite codec is not installed on your computer so there is nothing to update!

OK I guess I need the main programme....can you direct me please? I have Win 7 and WMP 12.

much thanks

h

BRYNIT 21:21 15 Oct 10

Have you tried system restore to before the problem happened.

hawthorn59 02:43 16 Oct 10

I thought of system restore, but its probably better to get it to work with the system as it is now, if i can.

Do I need to download the basic or full versions?

thanks!
h

hawthorn59 03:26 16 Oct 10

Aaagghh!

downloaded full and installed it, and WMP will still play nothing. It seemed to automatically download Media Player Classic which of course will play the files.

I was going to download the codec upgrade but its 64 bit, and my system is 32 bit.

Just dont know where to go from here!

h

hawthorn59 03:49 16 Oct 10

Hallelujah!

I hadnt restarted my laptop after installing (it didnt ask to) so just decided to try it, and everything works now!

I could wonder why and try to figure out why it went wrong in the 1st place but why bother.....!

Lazarus many many thanks!!

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…