Windows Media Player wont open :<

Mad Boy 17:54 02 Oct 03

Strange, i went to play a mpg in Windows media player and nothing happended. I though the file extensions were maybe messed up. I tried holding shift,right clicking and open with, but nothing happened. I even did the basic thing of Start>Programs>Accessories>Multimedia>Windows Media Player.exe

The program doesnt even load! No error, doesnt display in taskbar list. Nothing!

I then thought i'll try and update, did everything accordingly, infact upgraded to V9. And well...the same result.

Is there a dll or something possibly corrupt do you think? If so how can i fix it, otherwise any other suggestions.

THANKS!

P.S if all fails, can anyone point me to a good free basic mpg/avi player? Windows Media Player aint the best to use, but its better than nothing.

easyrider66 18:01 02 Oct 03

Hi,

Type Winamp into google, and have a look at their offering. I,ve used it for a while now with no problems at all.

Regards.

Mad Boy 18:33 02 Oct 03

Ive just installed winamp(2) as v3 loads slow. This solves the mp3 side of things but not video.

Thanks for the suggestion, any more ideas?

easyrider66 20:06 02 Oct 03

Hi again,
Try the videolan client from click here

Regards.

Mad Boy 20:11 02 Oct 03

Where do you go?

easyrider66 20:18 02 Oct 03

Hi there,

Try here and go for the .exe file, its easier to install. click here

Regards.

Mad Boy 20:20 02 Oct 03

Im going to try & dload Media player 9 again thanks. Its 13.3Mb, on a 56K i believe that should take.........................................................

20mins :(

Blix 21:17 02 Oct 03

Don't know if this helps, but I had a similar problem with Windows Media Player. I would click a music or video file and nothing would happen. Discovered that it was running in the background. (used ctrl, alt, delete....processes.) Found it there and stopped it. This solved the problem, but it still occurs from time to time.

Mad Boy 21:26 02 Oct 03

ummm, so what did you do to recover Media Player?

By the way im still dlaoding, alomosr 1 hour later :\

Blix 21:32 02 Oct 03

Once I stopped it in "processes", when it would start up fine next time I clicked a file.

Mad Boy 21:45 02 Oct 03

Thats ok now, windows media 9 is working great.

Thanks for the replies :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…