Windows Media Player will not play DVDs

harriss 19:25 21 Jan 07

Due to problems with my seperate original CD and DVD drives I have recently purchased a Samsung Super-Writemaster CD/DVD Writer and installed it in the old

CD drive slot.(original DVD writer is still in my computer). Have no problems playing/burning CDs using Windows Media Player but can not play DVDs.

Whenever I try to do so a pop-up message appears saying that I do not have the correct decoder installed to play DVDs.

Subsequently I have had installed K-Lite Codec Pack which I anticipated would solve the proble as the programme contains many different codecs. However,

although I can now get sound from a DVD I still can't get a picture. The screen within Windows Media Player is totally black. I know that there are DVD

players available for download (eg VLC media player) but I would prefer to stay with WMP as I don't particularly wish to install yet another piece of

software as my Hard Drive is slowly running out of space. Could you help me resolve this problem please.

woodchip 19:28 21 Jan 07

You need Power DVD

woodchip 19:29 21 Jan 07

Try this click here

wjrt 19:32 21 Jan 07
  skidzy 19:32 21 Jan 07

or AVS dvd player 22MB click here

Did you get any software with the new drive,ie NERO or as Woodchip has said Powerdvd etc...if so load this.

Stuartli 20:24 21 Jan 07

Also Enable all File Types including DVD Video from Tools>Options>File Types tab.

Strawballs 23:15 21 Jan 07

I go along with Woodchip on this one click here I have never found WMP very good for playing DVD's a dedicated player works better.

Stuartli 23:52 21 Jan 07

I find WMP to be just as good as PowerDVD for watching DVDs - in fact I use it as the Default player.

jbaker65 09:12 22 Jan 07

Try 'Videolan' It's freeware and will play dvd's and other formats that wmp won't.

Stuartli 09:52 22 Jan 07

As I stated, I use WMP (version 10) as my default player.

I haven't come across anything yet that it won't play, but I do have all the necessary audio and video codecs installed.

birdface 11:28 22 Jan 07

If you download VLC Media Player it installs its own decoder,Which in turn should let you play DVDs on Windows Media Player,Worked for me,But then again VLC will play any DVD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple