windows media player / vlc dark picture

v8 23:17 04 Nov 07

hi guys, having probs with windows media player 11 and vlc media player - try to watch movies (avi/mpg) on either and the picture is very dark - to the point you cannot actually see very much at all. however movies play fine (ie visible!) in real alternative's media player classic. comp is new with xp pro sp2, office xp pro, athlon 64 x2, 1gb ram (also have separate prob with windows media player not playing mpg files but thats another story!). tried uninstalling wmp11 and reinstalling, but no difference. have downloaded k-lite codec pack 3.5.3 full version - no difference. if i burn a movie / tv prog onto dvd, they play perfectly well in a dvd player attached to a tv. never had this prob on previous comp, and altering settings in players doesn't solve prob. i know the easy option is just set media player classic as default player, but things like this bug me if i don't know why, and i like vlc's player!! any ideas gratefully received as always, thanks.

brundle 23:25 04 Nov 07

Get this click here
and this click here.
Drag and drop a problem video into GSpot, identify the codec, remove that codec, reboot, re-install. Clicking on System/List Codecs in GSpot will show all the codecs it can find on your system.
You'll need to close any media players/decoders before you can remove some of the codecs, you may even need to reboot in safe mode and delete them then. Use Sherlock for more information about the codecs on your system.

v8 07:12 06 Nov 07

thanks for that brundle. using g spot identified a couple of missing driver files in the codec list. will try to find/reinstall these files and report back as to the success. thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac