Windows Media Player Ripping Problem

bartonside 12:54 04 Dec 10

I regularly rip tracks from CDs into WMP to compile two CDs for a local radio programme (it saves having to take 20 or so CDs to the studio!). In the last two weeks, I have found some are ripped minus the duration. This has to be there or else they will not burn. Yesterday I re-ripped several tracks and all was well - until this morning when I found that the durations have disappeared again. Can anyone suggest where the fault might be? Is it WMP or is it my CD-DVD drive?

GaT7 13:40 04 Dec 10

You can try reinstalling WMP over itself, which may fix the problem. Assuming you're using WinXP.

To do this, shut down all instances of the player, including disabling it in the Taskbar (right-click the Taskbar > Toolbars > untick Windows Media Player in the list if present & ticked).

Next, navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player & double-click on the setup_wm file to reinstall it over itself.

Now check to see if the problem persists.

If not joy with that, you can also try the Windows File Checker click here (for XP) & click here (for Vista & W7).

If that doesn't resolve it either, you could try an alternative ripper like Exact Audio Copy click here. If this works, then you'll know your drive is not at fault. G

bartonside 14:40 04 Dec 10

I think I may have solved it. I noticed that all the tracks that did not have a duration were shown in the Album column as Unknown Album. I have copied them again and wrote the album title in. Thanks for your suggestion of an alternative ripper - I will keep that in mind. The problem with missing timings does NOT occur in downloads.

bartonside 11:42 05 Dec 10

Well, that bright idea didn't work. The tracks I had re-ripped were OK last night but when I booted up this morning, their durations had vanished again. If I re-install WMP as advised, am I likely to lose any of the material I have stored?

GaT7 13:08 05 Dec 10

"If I re-install WMP as advised, am I likely to lose any of the material I have stored?"

No, you will not lose anything. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5