Windows Media Player.. Prog not responding

lixdexik 10:26 28 Feb 06

Windows media player has stopped playing DVDs. When I put a disc in it starts loading media, then when I click on play the whole screen goes white and the prog does not respond, this then requires Alt Ctrl Del to get it to close.

It used to play DVDs fine but now it always crashes. Its also the same on my other computer. Most strange. This machine has all the windows updates because it's on the internet. The other machine has not been updated.

Both machines have winXP with sp2

They both play music Cds fine but not DVDs and both machines worked fine to begin with.

Any clues what might be wrong.

Cheers Lixdexik.

Stuartli 12:28 28 Feb 06

Have you ensured that DVD is enabled in File Types?

You may also have corrupted video codecs - try downloading the standard K-lite codecs pack from:

click here

GroupFC 13:11 28 Feb 06

Have you ever played the particular disc that you are trying, as it seems strange that it is the same on two machines (to me that suggests a dodgy disc)? Have you tried a disc that you know worked before?

I can't believe you would have corrupted video codecs on two machines at the same time! (although I suppose stranger things have happened!).

lixdexik 16:41 28 Feb 06

Stuartli, I have downloaded and installed the codec pack which was newer than the ones I had. I have also checked that all file types are selected. Still no Joy.

GroupFC, I have tried homemade and bought DVDs none of which will work (they work fine on my daughters laptop also with xp)

I have tried reinstalling WMP and still no joy.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers Lixdexik.

lixdexik 19:50 28 Feb 06

as provided by PC Advisor and it found 108 problems that it has fixed, but still no DVD play back without freezing.

Cheers Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant