Windows Media Player problems

Dr. Charles 09:44 02 Apr 03

I missed a TV program Y`day so went on the web to pick it up and play this , it is available to do this, but I have not done it before.

I went onto Windows Media Player by default and it said this was the wrong format etc. I had updated to WMP9 so deleted it and went to WMP7.1 as I am on win98SE 512Ram 1Gig AMD processor.

This didn`t work so went back to the windows helpline and downloaded the WMP9 for 98SE again.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a rubbish utility from MS. I was trying to play "Working Lunch". Is ther an alternative to WMP ??? As far as I know I configured WMP OK.

Regards,

Charles

cherria 09:54 02 Apr 03

Do you know what format the file you downloaded is? A lot of TV programs available for download are in DivX format so you need a DivX decoder/player.

go to click here and download the free player (pick the one on the left, no spyware/adware) install it and they because it installs the decoder you should be able to play the file in any of your players.

cherria 09:55 02 Apr 03

By the way, you are aware that unless you got the file from an official source with permission, downloading TV programs and playing them is breach of copyright.

Dr. Charles 10:07 02 Apr 03

Working Lunch is there for you to play ON your PC if you missed th programme it is NOT a download but thank you for your point.I shall have a "Play" with the above and see what happens.

Regards

Charles

Bebee 11:06 02 Apr 03

I have watched Working Lunch on PC. When I click on it it opens RealPlayer and plays perfectly. I am not sure whether Windows Media Player will play realmedia files (.ram). All BBC video seems to use this format. Look in WMs list of supported formats.

I must admit that I find RealPlayer a bit of a pain for loading all sorts of junk and popping up at unexpected moments with 'messages', but I have managed to eliminate most of these from startup.

bebee

Bebee 11:18 02 Apr 03

I've had a look in Media Player and I'm pretty sure the RealMedia format is not supported (I'm not surprised the RealPlayer don't want Microsoft to get their hands on it).

If you want to watch Working Lunch or other BBC feeds you will need to download RealPlayer

click here

Choose the not so obvious Free Realplayer link at the top right of the page to avoid getting caught up in the 'free trial'.

Dr. Charles 11:44 02 Apr 03

Thanks Bebee this has solved the problem and its free - - - - lol

Best wishes

Charles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…