Windows Media Player Hangs

TonyJover 00:28 04 Dec 04

Hi,

I had this with WMP9 and still have it with WMP10. If I try to open an mpeg1 movie file across the web, WM Player hangs with 90 odd % CPU usage - it just sits there saying "Connecting" and does no more. Closing WM Player leaves the task running (at 90%) which I have to close with Task Manager.

If I download the mpeg, or open one across my local network, then there's no problem; WMP plays it fine.

My guess is that a buggy codec associated with some program that I've installed at some time has 'hooked' itself as the default codec, and that's the cause of my problems, but how on earth do I find it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

MichelleC 08:55 04 Dec 04

I've given up trying to sort out WMP and gone to Real Player - no probs at all.

TonyJover 09:15 06 Dec 04

Unfortunately, for several reasons, that's not an option for me.

Thanks for the input though.

john-232317 09:22 06 Dec 04

If you dont like realplayer, try jetaudio, it plays RP files without the realplayer bumff.

TonyJover 09:26 06 Dec 04

Hiya. My problem is not how to play the mpegs - I can do that numerous ways with any number of apps. My problem is how to resolve the "hanging" bug with WMP.

For reasons that are too tedious to get into, I need to have WMP working.

MichelleC 11:52 06 Dec 04

Ok, then maybe uninstalling wmp and reinstalling MAY fix (assuming you've got all updates and you're xp):

click here

TonyJover 15:13 07 Dec 04

Hi Michelle - well, it was a good idea, thanks. Unfortunately it didn't work. Reason for slow response from me was that I had to find the time to follow that thread to see how to uninstall, and then find the time to actually do it.

Maybe I'll just have to shrug and put up with it.

MichelleC 18:44 07 Dec 04

Another thing to try is disabling firewall, or running through which ports are disabled if it's a router.

TonyJover 09:57 08 Dec 04

Hey, thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately that doesn't work either :-
I don't use ICF (because I use ZA Pro) and I'm otherwise straight onto the web with a 4Mb connection (no intermediary Firewall or proxy IP address). I disabled ZA, but it didn't help.

I guess I'm just gonna have to put up with it. Cheers anyway.

steve 09:38 28 Dec 04

I've had hanging problems with both MPlayer9 and Mplayer 10. Whenever I try to play (e.g. a video I made using Windows Movie Maker) video or sounds, the whole machine hits treacle: 90% CPU usage; two minutes for a mouse click or ALT+TAB command to take effect. For choice, I'll choose 'open with' mplayer2, but certain files launch mplayer9/10 beyond my control.

Steve Hill

TonyJover 09:45 28 Dec 04

What amazes me about the whole thing is that searching Microsoft's knowledgebase brings up absolutely ziltch. I cannot believe they're unaware of the problem and nor do I believe it's beyond their abilities to address it.

::::sigh::::

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…