Windows Media Player - changing DVD region

Pineman100 13:08 04 Aug 10

My sister who lives in America recently visited me, and brought me a several movies on DVD.

When I went to play one of these DVDs on my computer (Windows 7, Windows Media Player 10, Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7581S ATA device) I received a warning notice that I needed to change regions in order to play the DVD, and that only 4 such region changes were permitted. It also said that this limitation would apply even if I changed the DVD drive (or words to that effect).

I've never come across this before. Does it mean that I can only ever play four American DVD's on my computer - and after that I can never do so again? That's crazy!

Is there any solution to this problem?

Ashrich 14:04 04 Aug 10

This has been going on since DVD's were invented , it is supposed to stop people importing cheaper ones from other countries . The firmware in the DVD reader is regionalised for N America , Asia , Europe etc., this has to match the region of the disk . click here for an explanation

Ashley

northumbria61 14:17 04 Aug 10

You can change the Region by doing the following -

Right click on my computer/properties/hardware/device manager/dvdrom/properties/region and change to region 2. You've only got a limited number of times you can do this (usually 5)

Pineman100 14:54 04 Aug 10

Thanks to you both.

I've been doing a bit of googling on this topic, and I've come across any number of solutions that claim that they (a) work and (b) are legal.

Is it true that you have the legal right to take steps to circumvent the regional lock on your DVD drive, because it only exists as a price protection measure?

I don't want to do anything illegal.

northumbria61 16:04 04 Aug 10

You are given the option to do it - as I said above it is limited to 5 times - you are not doing it for illegal purposes - you are doing it in order to make your DVD playable.

tullie 16:16 04 Aug 10

The problem is,is that he can only do it 5 times?

tullie 16:17 04 Aug 10

Just a thought,if you had a portable dvd player,would they not play?

Pineman100 17:00 04 Aug 10

tullie - I don't know whether they would. Trouble is, I haven't got a portable DVD player.

Thalmus 17:29 04 Aug 10

you can update the firmware of your DVD to make it read any dvd regardless of region. ie make it region free

Pineman100 17:58 04 Aug 10

Thalmus - that sounds interesting, thank you. How do I do that? I presume that just updating to the latest driver software isn't enough?

northumbria61 22:14 04 Aug 10

There are a list og suggestions here - take your pick - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…