Windows media player - blank screens

ZootHornRollo 22:21 13 Dec 05

I have started using version 10 of the Windows media player but it has become unstable when playing wmv files. It only plays the audio and there are no images i.e. no videos which kind of defeats the object of the whole darn thing. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it is always the same - any ideas on
a]why this is happening and more importantly
b] how to fix it?

Thalmus 22:50 13 Dec 05

Installing media player 10 might have over written some of the codecs you had on you computer.

click here and download the k-lite codec pack, this will include all the codecs you will ever need

joethebow 22:51 13 Dec 05

You need to download a codec pack, don't worry they're free, just search on Google. I use Nemo Lite but there are lots of others, but please only install 1 pack at a time and delete the old one before you install a second.

The other thing you can do is try VLC Player (also free) It doesn't appear to care about codecs and plays just about anything including .mov files.

SANTOS7 22:54 13 Dec 05

The K-lite pack in Thalmus's link is the one you need if after that you have any intermitant problems
view with any screensaver you have turned off...

ZootHornRollo 16:24 14 Dec 05

I tried the k-lite pack but it made no difference and the PC would not let me install VLC player as it would not recognise the file type (DMG?) HELP PLEASE

ZootHornRollo 21:38 15 Dec 05

Can anyone suggest any alternatives to the advice already given. I have tried rolling back to WMP 9 and that doesn't work and can only assume that there is some conflict over codecs but don't have a clue how to sort it out

driving man 10:36 16 Dec 05

Going for the simple option (it is only one I know) obviously WMP10 is reading your input source because you can hear the sound, but is it also the default player for video. Have a look in "set program access and defaults" which you should see after clicking start button in XP. Otherwise I have read on here that if using Win98se it wont like WMP10. If that is the case completely remove 10 from system (uninstall progs) and then re-load 9
Best wishes that you get it sorted in time for Xmas

ZootHornRollo 22:37 16 Dec 05

Thanks for the tip ... you say look in "set program access and defaults" which you should see after clicking start button in XP. but this option does not appear when I click on the button. Am I missing something?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…