Windows Media Player 9 won't recognise MP3 files

Trikie 11:57 01 Apr 04

Granmson recently upgraded Windows Media Player in my my 2 year old XP to version 9. Should it recognise MP3 files?

Trikie 11:58 01 Apr 04

Finger problem - should be Grandson!

Trikie 11:58 01 Apr 04

Finger problem - should be Grandson!

temp003 12:12 01 Apr 04

Yes, it should.

If you want WMP9 to be the default application for playing mp3 files, in WMP9, click Tools, Options, File types tab, tick "MP3 audio files (mp3)", and any other file types you want, click OK.

Stuartli 14:22 01 Apr 04

Just occasionally (at least in my case) WMP9 disables some audio/video codecs of its own free will - worth a check every so often to ensure they are all enabled.

Trikie 22:24 01 Apr 04

Thanks temp003. I've just done this and the mp3 box was already ticked. I've tried again but get the message "the input media format is invalid".

GaT7 23:18 01 Apr 04

Have you tried playing other MP3s? Does this happen while playing ALL MP3s or only certain ones?

Also, are you getting an 'error code' with the error message? e.g., 0xC00D0BB8 or 0xc00d1199 or similar?

GaT7 23:53 01 Apr 04

This first: 1. Open WMP9. Click Tools -> Options -> Devices -> Speakers -> Properties. Make a note of what's selected in the 'Audio device to use' box. 2. Now select the correct Audio device to use for your PC (depending on your sound card & drivers installed.) Click Apply, OK. Close WMP9. 3. Open WMP9 & try to play a MP3. 4. If it doesn't work you may want repeat the above process & select something different each time. 5. On exhausting all options return the settings to the original (from the note you made in step 1.)

If above doesn't work - click here

Last resort - click here

Trikie 17:12 04 Apr 04

Thanks Crossbow7.

I've checked a range of my MP3 files and found that for some I get a message that the input media format is invalid. For some others I get the player screen and visuals but no sound while the rest play perfectly.

Previously they all played - I made CD from them.

Stuartli 09:07 06 Apr 04

Have you tried downloading all the available codecs in case one (or more) is missing?

Trikie 22:35 08 Apr 04

Please whats a codec, where do I find them and how do I download them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…