Windows Media Player 9 stopped playing or Copying

14all 17:22 25 Jan 06

Windows Media Player 9 stopped playing or Copying

Windows Media Player 9 installed on my Granddaughters PC, which is running Win ME, IE 6.0 has suddenly stopped playing or copying music from her CD-Rom (ATPI CD-RW 52X32) drive.

When you insert a CD WMP9 will open and show all the information of the tracks on the CD, if you try to play them or copy them to the hard drive you get this message.

Windows Media Player encountered an error when reading the CD-ROM drive in digital mode. Click OK to switch to analog mode, click cancel to retry playing in digital mode.

If you click OK you get this error.

Windows Media Player encountered an error when reading the CD-ROM drive in digital mode. You can use digital mode again or you can switch the player to analog mode (More Information)

0xC00D11F8: Cannot play the CD using digital playback
Windows Media Player could not play the CD using digital playback. The Player has automatically switched the CD-ROM drive to analog playback. To switch back to digital CD playback, use the Devices tab.
To switch to digital CD playback
1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Devices tab.
2. Double-click the CD-ROM drive, and then in the Playback area, click Digital.
Error ID = 0xC00D11F8, Condition ID = 0x00000000

No 2 above will not work the window will not load.

Microsoft also says to go to the Device Manager, CD-ROM properties tag, untick Enable Digital CD Audio for this CD-ROM device.

I have reinstalled Win ME, Installed WMP9 over the top of itself.
I have no restore point to roll the player version back, and you cannot uninstall it,
I have loaded a free version of Win Amp which does work but doesn’t copy in Wav or MP3. I believe that version 10 doesn’t work with ME

Any suggestions as what to do next please.

Totally-braindead 17:32 25 Jan 06

Is the drive actually working, have you tried other audio disks and if so have you tried a CDROM.

14all 23:55 26 Jan 06

I have replace my CD-ROM with another one (on loan) and it's still the same.

It will do most anything else, IE, Install a program from a CD, but as soon as you put a audio CD in the drive WMP9 cannot play the sound, although it can read the track info.

I found an old forum from late 2004 with quite a few people with this problem, and they seem to have found the fix to the problem, but the website that gives the full details on how to carry it out doesn't have the artical anymore.

Below is a copy of of one of the posts.

The 'aspiproblems' page recommended by Mike Noyes suggests installing older versions of 5 files:
winaspi.dll - wnaspi32.dll - apix.vxd - aspienum.vxd - sparrow.mpd
My system had only the first 3 of these, so I replaced them by the older versions. This made no difference. I then added aspienum.vxd (which hadn't been on my system before), and it worked! I then reverted to the later versions of wnaspi32.dll and apix.vxd (winaspi.dll hadn't changed), and it still worked!! I then deleted aspienum.vxd, and it still worked!!!

Well all I got to do now is work out how to do it

Cheers 14all

Skyver 00:07 27 Jan 06

Try loading (or reloading) ASPI drivers click here

14all 17:52 27 Jan 06

Skyver

Thanks for the link, I downloaded and installed the ASPI Layer files last night but it made no difference, but I also noticed another program from that website, called ForceASPI, it will back up, delete, and reinstall using ASPI 4.60.

Another fix I’ve seen and tried was to rename the Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db file to
Wmplibrary_v_0_12.OLD, but that didn’t work either.

I have also been asked to check the UpperFilters & LowerFilters value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} but the Folder name Class isn’t in that address on my PC, its located elsewhere.

The one thing I haven’t done, is to delete a folder in the registry “cdaudio” it’s in this address
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\mci
cdaudio

But according to a post in another thread on this forum this did the trick, but I am a bit hesitant to get rid of a complete folder of settings, rather just one setting, which can be rectified.

Cheers

Skyver 18:04 27 Jan 06

You could export the registry entries before deletion, import them again if it doesn't help.

Skyver 18:06 27 Jan 06

You could try replacing all your ASPI files with originals, you'll find them in Win*19.cab (not sure of the name, just the number) on your Windows ME CD.
Again, back them up or rename them before changing.
Access .cab files with WinZip,WinRar,7Zip,Izarc; click here

Stuartli 20:05 27 Jan 06

Might be a silly question, but has the audio cable to the sound card become detached?

Or is the sound card the source of the problem?

14all 00:11 28 Jan 06

Hi Stuartli

No question is silly it just might have been that, but I’m afraid it wasn’t.

The sound card works as the player can play any music file stored on the hard drive, it can also read the tracks of the CD in the DVD/CW RW (on loan) but the audio signal between the CD ROM and Player is blocked somewhere.

I also downloaded five free CD Rippers and a couple of free players; all of them couldn’t find the signal from the CDROM.

Windows ME recognises it, I’ve used it to reload windows over the top plus I loaded a couple of programmes off a PC Adviser disc which work fine and one programme had sound, which was heard.

I have tried near enough every thing that’s on the net regarding this problem, and there are a few out there that still haven’t solved this problem and given up. I found an old forum page from about a year back where a poster spent 6 hours on and off the phone to Microsoft with no result.

It something to do with the burning software that Widows Media Player 9 uses, plus one or two other Media programmes if not uninstalled correctly create problems as well.

This is my beef with Microsoft; WMP 9 should be separate from the operating system so we can choose what extra software we use.

Now my Granddaughter has now got the hump because I wont let her anywhere near my PC and use WMP 9 to copy CD’s onto her MP3 player in case it happens to mine.

14all 00:18 28 Jan 06

Skyver

I did what you said still no joy.

I also carried out the other checks that I was a bit hesitant to try, and it's stil the same.

I've tried all the info found on the net plus what you guys have come up with, so Ill give up for now before I see those men in white coats walking down the road.

Cheers 14all ;-)

Stuartli 15:19 28 Jan 06

>>It something to do with the burning software that Widows Media Player 9 use>>

IIRC it's from Roxio. I've disabled CD burning in WMP10 even though I have a Nero plug-in - I much prefer to do any work on these lines using Nero Reloaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac