Windows Media Player 9 -- please help

Ms_Dial 00:21 19 Jun 04

Specs: emachines433i, 256 MB RAM, WinME...

Upgraded media player today and copied a music CD onto it like I've done many times previously, while copying it played the music afterwards whenever I click on the song it looks like its playing - the bar moves, the timer runs, but NO SOUND comes out. I can go to any file copied before today click on it and hear the song just fine so it can't be my sound card so, what's making this happen? Also, before copying it said it couldn't copy the CD in digital mode instead in analog but even so there should be sound!

hugh-265156 00:47 19 Jun 04

try this.

start/settings/control panel/system/properties/device manager

click the cdrom drive/properties and then select 'Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM drive'

Ms_Dial 01:01 19 Jun 04

Very odd - I went to where you said but under digital playback its all greyed out and impossible to click.

In case you need to know its:SAMSUNG CD ROM SC-140

hugh-265156 01:07 19 Jun 04

not sure.

what soundcard do you have and are your drivers for it installed? all the enable cd digital audio does is direct the audio through your ide cable. some people still use a seperate lead from cd drive to the soundcard.

look in device manager, are there any yellow question marks or exclamation marks beside any devices here?

try this.

open media player/tools/options/devices/cddrive/properties/audio and tick digital for playback and copy here too.

hugh-265156 01:16 19 Jun 04

is anything muted or turned down in control panel settings sounds and audio devices?

Ms_Dial 01:31 19 Jun 04

Already clicked digital for playback and copy in media player.

No, yellow warning signs anywhere. :-)

And, under device manager/sound, video and game controllers: CrystalSoundFusion(tm) PCI Audio Accelerator. But with all my other music files playing fine I don't think its my computer messing up but the player itself, what do you think?

Ms_Dial 01:33 19 Jun 04

No, volume is up to normal almost high.

hugh-265156 03:04 19 Jun 04

music files will be playing from the hard drive.

do other cds play ok in this cd drive?

hugh-265156 03:13 19 Jun 04

found click here may explain the error you get.

as before though is it just this one disc thats not playing, do others play ok etc?

Ms_Dial 17:11 21 Jun 04

The article pertains to my problem except for the specific listing lists Samsung_SCR-730 as the problem drive I have SAMSUNG_SCR-140 installed. I've only ever upgraded a driver (display) once before and it lead to worse problems. If I do a search and install a different driver and things worsen can I put this driver back?

Stuartli 17:29 21 Jun 04

Your CD-ROM drive doesn't need a driver, only the basic Windows CDROM driver.

Try Removing the drive via Device Manager and then rebooting; Windows should reinstall the drive and its CDROM driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…