Windows Media Player 9

ab134 17:52 27 Jan 04

Player will not play audio CDs. I get a message saying "The selected file has a scheme that is not recognised by Windows Media Player, but the Player may still be able to play it".

Media Player was playing audio CDs previously.

Audio CDs do play in MusicMatch.

CDs also do not play in the basic CD player which comes with Windows 98.

I have tried uninstalling Media Player and re-installing with no luck.

I am using Windows 98.

hugh-265156 18:06 27 Jan 04
  ab134 18:19 27 Jan 04

How can you tell if audio CD driver is corrupted?

Stuartli 09:44 28 Jan 04

Have you enable all the file types in WMP (Tools>Options>File Types tab)?

Sometimes these revert to being disabled.

In the Devices tab highlight your CD-ROM drive and check that analog rather than digital playing is enabled in both cases as this can cause audio CDs not to play.

Stuartli 09:45 28 Jan 04

Check the CD-ROM drive, of course, via Properties.

ab134 16:15 28 Jan 04

Tried the suggestions - no change. Windows Media Player recognizes that there is an audio cd in the drive. Just won't play it.

Stuartli 17:56 28 Jan 04

Have you tried just putting an audio disk in your drive without any player open?

You should get a box up asking which way you want to play the disk i.e. WMP, CDPlayer etc.

Select the one you require, in this case, WMP and OK it.

It's another variety of Auto Insert Notification from earlier Windows OS versions.

gold 47 18:33 28 Jan 04

I have one word for Media Player 9 yuck had more problems with this than i ever had with Media Player 7.1 or 8.

Terry Brown 20:18 28 Jan 04

As far as I know, Media player 9, is an XP program and depends on the XP software to run properly, which is why it will not run correctly on win 98. Try going to control panel / add remove programs and remove media player 9, then using your boot disk, restart the system, reload win 98 on top of your curent system, and this should reload the media player for win 98. You could as a last resort, back your working files to floppy or CD, format the hard drive and start again, but that is only as a last resort

hugh-265156 23:40 28 Jan 04

see click here

ab134 this works with xp not 100% sure about win98 but try: start/run type "mplayer2.exe" click ok for the old 6.4 version thats installed with windows.

ab134 00:19 29 Jan 04

Just as an aside. I did have Media Player 9 working fine under Windows 98. Something happened don't know what and I have had this problem since then.

I will try the latest suggestion.

Thanx for all you help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…