Windows Media Player 9

Claire70 23:10 12 Dec 03

While browsing and listening to music at the same time WMP skips and slows down the tracks.

My pc is 6 months old and I'm on XP, any ideas what could be wrong?

ton 23:50 12 Dec 03

Try another player. I find Winamp very good and it's free. click here

hugh-265156 00:17 13 Dec 03

if you are streaming radio etc try buffering about 30secs before playback.

tools/options/performance

if its cd audio then try updating your motherboard chipset drivers to the latest version from the manufacturers website.

also try enabling DMA if available for the drive in control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ide/ata/atapi controllers/the ide channel the drive is on.

Claire70 00:36 13 Dec 03

Ton, tried that player, same result.

huggyg71,DMA is enabled. I think it has something to do with all the processes running as when I'm playing a game and most applications are switched off it doesn't happen.

MickE1 00:42 13 Dec 03

most players are the same .I found wmp not that good. Are you listening to wave files ? Most are ok if playing cds but anything else and you get skips. Overall, my favourite player is real one, but none are perfect.

hugh-265156 00:53 13 Dec 03

try setting uneeded services to manual or disabled to free up some resources if you think that may be whats causing it.

follow the advice click here "safe" list doesnt cause any problems for most people.just do one or two at a time after reading what each service is for.restart the computer to take effect.

also consider disabling some programs from automatically loading as windows starts to free up more resourses.

click start/run and type "msconfig" click the start up tab and look at whats starting.i would untick everything apart from your AV and firewall click here if you are unsure as to what you are changing and look it up.the programs will still function when you need them as normal,just not load with windows anymore.

hugh-265156 00:57 13 Dec 03

ps. sorry,find the services in:

start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/services

double click on those set to auto and change from the drop down box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…