windows media player

morthin 19:48 PM 19 Jan 12
Answered

I use windows vista on my pc.since this week I ahve been unable to run windows media player, that is when I select the imedia icon nothing happens. I ahve tried to download windows media 11 but i get a message saying that media is installed in vista as a prepackage, so I then try to install windows media 11 for vista. Dowmload occurs i thenget the message There is a new version of media 11.0.6002.18311 installed on your computer.It is not possible to use an older installation package 11.0.5721.5262 to install files or to repair your current version of the player, but simply wndows media won`t boot up.Can anybody help ?? Thanks Martin

northumbria61 21:08 PM 19 Jan 12

WMP should show up in your Windows Update list. You should be able to go via Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Show Updates - scroll down to find Windows Media Player and uninstall. Restart your computer and then download and reinstall WMP.

morthin 22:09 PM 19 Jan 12

Thnaks for that Checked all the updates not a single one relevant to wmp

Woolwell 22:42 PM 19 Jan 12

It will not be under programs but should be listed under turn windows features on and off. But that does literally that, it does not uninstall it. You could try turning it off, reboot, turn on and reboot. But perhaps the simplest thing is a system restore to a point before the problem began.

rdave13 00:29 AM 20 Jan 12

A system restore sounds good to me or run a system file checker. I've also found this utility but I haven't used it, repair-windows-media-player

morthin 16:09 PM 20 Jan 12

Thanks for all your replies, I am still drawing a blank on this one !!

Woolwell 16:19 PM 20 Jan 12

" imedia icon " What do you mean by imedia icon? Is it a Packard Bell?

In the search box under the start orb type windows media player. This should list the player, click on that and see if WMP opens.

morthin 19:36 PM 20 Jan 12

Ah that should read windows media icon ( typing error),i ahve done as suggested I then click on the icon the screen goes black for about 3 seconds then reverts to the original screen !

Woolwell 20:05 PM 20 Jan 12

Have a look at this WMP will not start

morthin 20:13 PM 20 Jan 12

marvellous you are a star !!!!! works spot on many thanks thanks for your help

Woolwell 20:28 PM 20 Jan 12
Answer

Green tick? Found it through a search.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites