Windows Media Player

Tony W. 14:35 06 Oct 09

I have a free DVD From AP.But when I try to play it on Widows Media Player a message appears saying that I need a decoder.

Its the first time this has come up previous DVDs from other sources have played OK.

Does anybody know if I can get a free Decoder and also which type I would need.I did Google it but the decoders I have found you have to pay for.

Thanks.

Stuartli 15:57 06 Oct 09

Download and install the K-Lite Audio and Video Codecs Full Pack (during installation select Option 8, Lots of Stuff):

click here

Ensure that in WMP, from Tools>Options>File Types, all file types including DVD are selected.

You could also, if you prefer, include the Windows Classic Media Player from the K-Lite Full Pack; this will play DVDs.

DieSse 16:14 06 Oct 09

Or try the VLC free, open source media player - which in my experience will play a lot more things then WMP - in fact it's an excellent media player.

click here

IMHO a much better solution than the codec packs.

Tony W. 16:24 06 Oct 09

Stuartli and DieSse.

I am grateful to you for replying.

One of the suggestions has been downloaded and I can now play the DVD.

Many thanks to you both.

Tony.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…