windows media player

rob3600 15:55 01 Jul 09

I am running vista home premium, and am trying to play some video through media player (no choice in this as it is a university based video for a course) however I hear sound but no pictures any suggestings please?

lotvic 16:14 01 Jul 09

you need some more codecs installed
what is the file type ? .avi or what?

rob3600 16:42 01 Jul 09

To be honest I have no idea what the media file is, there is no extension. Sorry

gazzaho 17:16 01 Jul 09

Without knowing the extension it's hard to advise, some formats won't play on Media Player, I would however download K-Lite 4.9.5. Codecpack Full click here it should install the codec needed to play the video if it's a file format Media Player can play. Also be wary when installing codecs as they are a common way to install spyware/malware, never download a codec from a popup window on a web site.

Stuartli 20:01 01 Jul 09

Also, from WMP's Tools>Options>File Types, ensured that all File Types are Enabled.

By the way, I would also have suggested gazzaho's K-Lite Codecs Pack advice.

If you do download it, when installing choose Number 8 from the drop down menu (Lots of Stuff).

Stuartli 20:03 01 Jul 09

You would have a choice, if you wish, when installing the K-Lite Codecs Pack (perhaps the Mega version in this case) of adding Windows Classic Media Player.

rob3600 21:09 01 Jul 09

Thanks guys, won't know if your suggestions work from work home tomorrow, will post result here later

rob3600 15:49 04 Jul 09

made a boo boo should have continued this thread here sorry.
I have tried to download the K-lite codecs and have installed them still no luck in view the video still only get sound. Went onto a Microsoft site and downloaded a patch of some sort (I know I should remember) I am now getting a warning that I need to be logged in as an administrator, which I am, I have had this before, but have ignored it how do I solve it now though. As mentioned before I am running vista home premium.

lotvic 20:42 04 Jul 09

What version of WMPlayer do you have 11 or 12 ?
Also it would be useful to know in what form you have the videos - file type and are they on DVD, CD or your harddrive?

I don't have Vista (I'm on XP) so don't know how in Vista you enable the file ext to show
Hopefully someone will post to tell you.

It is best to make sure you have got the right patch for your WMP so could you post the link of the page where you downloaded it?

rob3600 21:34 04 Jul 09

Unfortuantely I am unable to provide a link to the page where the video is, this is due to the fact that it is within a university course I am attached to from work and the material is of a very sensitive nature. I assume I am running WMPlayer 12, the reason I come to this conclusion when the video did not play I was directed to a plugin WMPlayer 11 and when I downloaded it, it informed me that I had a later version on WMPlayer i.e. 12. I am also unable to fild out what file type the video is. The annoying thing about this is that my wife and I both have the same type of laptop and the video will play on hers.

lotvic 22:30 04 Jul 09

I can only suggest checking all the settings with the other laptop that plays them ok
Are you using the same browser on yours? Firefox or IE

in Options you can tell the browser which player application to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos