Windows Media Player

Astrid 10:16 08 Jul 08

I've been experiencing a problem with Windows Media Player and so have rolled back WMP 11 to my previous version. When I try to play I get the message that an error has been experienced and the player needs to close. The error code is: 0xc06d007e and the file cited is:
C:\DOCUME~1\MYCOMP~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\4Eo_appcompat.txt

The above is fairly incomprehensible to me. Is there any way I can fix the error?

FreeCell 10:50 08 Jul 08

According to click here there is a hot fix that should resolve your problem found click here

Astrid 11:47 08 Jul 08

Thank you - I've obtained the hotfix and have extracted it, then restarted. But now when I try to access Windows Media Player I get the message that a problem has been encountered, it needs to close and the new error is:
C:\DOCUME~1\MYCOMP~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\dabc_appcompat.txt

Does this represent a more serious problem?

FreeCell 16:57 08 Jul 08

Can you uninstall WMP 11 and try a reinstall of WMP 10? click here

The errors are coming on text files in a temporary folder. You should be able to use Windows Explorer and delete all the files in this folder without a problem.

Astrid 17:37 08 Jul 08

I downloaded and installed WMP 10 but received a message that it couldn't be accessed and used. I've also emptied as much as I'm able from my tmp folders. There seems little else I can do. I think it's a WMP Media Rights issue, which seems to be fairly common.

ened 17:39 08 Jul 08

Have you tried a System Restore to before you had the original problem?

Astrid 18:16 08 Jul 08

It seems I'm just being awkward! I can't do a system restore so far back. I think all avenues have been exhausted and I either continue without using WMP, wait until my next computer, or else persist and drive myself crazy... Thank you for your help thus far.

ened 18:27 08 Jul 08

That's a bit extreme.

What is your OS?

In the very worst case you could back everything up and re-install the OS.

But I don't think you need to go that far.

Can you try re-installing WMP through Add/remove programmes?

Astrid 18:38 08 Jul 08

Tried everything. WMP uninstalled and reinstalled more than once. Even tried to get WMP 9 but that's not possible any more for XP. There seems no reason why it should have gone so haywire. Until fairly recently I could use BBC iplayer and then suddenly I couldn't and the trouble began. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling both. I think a reinstall of the OS is probably the solution, but now I find, mysteriously, that the XP disc I have is an older version than the OS on my computer, which must have been done by the technician who last serviced but who now has gone out of business. (!)

Astrid 16:57 09 Jul 08

I've given up on solving my Windows Media Player problem as my computer is going in tomorrow for a full reinstall of Windows XP. In the meantime, I've been looking into other alternatives to WMP in the future. I've started a new thread as it's really a new topic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…