windows media player

Trotter2 21:51 03 Oct 07

does windows media player need to b up-graded from time to time? mine isn't working properly. I don't know which version I've got. if so, how do I find out my version and up-grade it. When I tried to up-load a few of my discs to computer, I clicked on 'load files to folder', then a box appeared saying windowsmedia cannot rip one or more tracks from this disc. this happened more than once with several different discs. can anybody help me out on this please? thanks.

brundle 21:56 03 Oct 07

If you're running XP and have never upgraded WMP you are using version 9. You can check by going to Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs. version 10 or 11 will show up in the list. Are you sure your CD drive is working properly? Were the discs clean? Did you try them on another PC? Can you be more specific with the error message?

davidh50 22:01 03 Oct 07

Start media Player, Click 'Help' move down to 'About Windows Media Player' For The Version.
To Update Click 'Tools' then 'Options' in 'Player' Tab See Automatic Updates in blue and set as you Like, Mines Once a Week & Ticked Download Codecs Automatically.

davidh50 22:01 03 Oct 07

Start media Player, Click 'Help' move down to 'About Windows Media Player' For The Version.
To Update Click 'Tools' then 'Options' in 'Player' Tab See Automatic Updates in blue and set as you Like, Mines Once a Week & Ticked Download Codecs Automatically.

brundle 22:02 03 Oct 07

No prob, the more ideas the better - I don't have WMP installed on this machine so I couldn't have described the method you suggested anyway

Trotter2 22:12 03 Oct 07

thankyou all for so many prompt responses. will let u know how I get on. and yes, I will try again and tell u exactly what the error message says.

Minkey1 22:25 03 Oct 07

One tip if you use encoded wma content- WMPv11 needs an updated component to properly handle the license download. Best to stick with v10 available from click here and avoid v11 offered lower down the same page

Minkey1 22:25 03 Oct 07

if you need to update it at all that is

Trotter2 22:26 03 Oct 07

only problem I've got now is that I don't appear to have a help button when I open media player. where is it?

davidh50 22:46 03 Oct 07

Sounds like media player is in skin mode,
Press 'Ctrl' '1'

or Right Click on M Player and Choose Switch to Full Mode.

davidh50 22:52 03 Oct 07

Or it could be it is not showing Classic Menus.
To view them Righr Click on top bar and choose Show Classic Menus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…