Windows Media Player

chaztait 12:08 16 Feb 05

Hi i have had Windows Media Player 10 for ages now and it does not play and videos now everytime i go to play one it comes up

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

then under it there are two buttons "close" and "more information"

then when i click More Information this comes up

"C00D1199: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

The file type is not supported by the Player. For a list of file types (formats) that are supported by Windows Media Player, see Supported file types.
The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.
The file type is supported, but you are trying to play it in a way that is not supported by the Player. For example, you might have tried to drag a DVD file with a .vob extension from a DVD to the Windows Media Player icon. Or you might have tried to open a .vob file by clicking Open on the File menu.
You are trying to play one part of a multipart file. Use a newsreader or other program to combine the files, and then try again.
Error ID = 0xC00D1199, Condition ID = 0x00000000"

Can anyone suggest what is wrong with it as i have played these files on it before so i dont know what has went wrong.

Thnanxs

chaztait

chaztait 12:10 16 Feb 05

just tried another video and it works i think it is only Movie file (mpeg)that it does not play

Jackcoms 12:31 16 Feb 05

In Media Player go to Tools; Options; File Types.

Tick the ones which you want it to support/be the default player.

chaztait 12:45 16 Feb 05

right i ticked them all but still the same thing..

Stuartli 14:01 16 Feb 05

You could download the WMP9 codecs pack from the Microsoft website or, perhaps better still, the standard K-Lite codecs pack (covers virtually everything likely to be required) from:

click here

You do already have a hardware or software DVD decoder?

chaztait 14:03 16 Feb 05

but i dont get why i need this i never needed it before and i dont know what you mean by a dvd decoder is that like Power DVD i have that and they work on that

Yoda Knight 14:11 16 Feb 05

the reason you may need a codec pack is that ur existing codecs arent working anymore. this could be caused by something you have installed (eg software dvd decoders). A codec functions as a "translator" telling media center how to handle the file

chaztait 14:16 16 Feb 05

right if i try and reinstall windows media player will that work?

GaT7 15:03 16 Feb 05

"if i try and reinstall windows media player will that work?"

Not guaranteed, but definitely worth a go! G

Stuartli 15:11 16 Feb 05

WMP doesn't have an MPEG-2 decoder which is why it needs to be added in some other way.

You can't uninstall WMP on its own as it is integral - it would probably be best to download and reinstall WMP10 from its home page at microsoft.com

chaztait 15:34 16 Feb 05

right ok i have reinstalled Windows Media Player still nothing has changed... anyone else know what to do

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017