Windows Media Player 11 Issue

RobCharles1981 22:59 06 Oct 06

When I'm playing a Movie File it will run perfectly then I will get this message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"

I have Windows Media Player 11 Beta, Quicktime and Realplayer and Winamp on Board

Any Suggestions??

Totally-braindead 23:02 06 Oct 06

Could it be a bug? You do state its a Beta program. I'm still using version 9 myself as I'm happy enough with it and don't feel the need to change.

RobCharles1981 23:04 06 Oct 06

All other movie files I have play fine

Totally-braindead 23:09 06 Oct 06

Strange that. Could the file have become corrupted? Is there any way you can try it on something else, burn it on a disk or something and play on a standalone DVD player, at least then you would know if it was something to do with the player or the actual file. Sorry I can't be of more help but its the only thing I can think of if your other files all play ok.

RobCharles1981 23:11 06 Oct 06

Do you know of a free tool to repair broken media files?

RobCharles1981 23:42 06 Oct 06

???

Stuartli 23:56 06 Oct 06

Stick to Windows Media Player 10 until the bugs have been ironed out; the whole idea of a Beta is to do just that.

RobCharles1981 00:26 07 Oct 06

I redownloaed Wmp10 the file does play and then just shuts off with the message I described, as I said it might me a curoupt file how do I repair it??

RobCharles1981 09:59 07 Oct 06

Can anyone advise?

gudgulf 10:36 07 Oct 06

As far as I know you can't repair a corrupt file.

It will need replacing with a new version.

Have you tried using a newly created video file to check if the same problem occurs?

What about trying a different player and seeing if that can play the whole file.....if you get issues with a alternative media player you know it's the file thats corrupt.If it plays ok then you have a problem with Media Player or the codecs in media player.

Try overwriting the standard Media Player codecs with an alternative codec pack such as K-Lite Codec Pack Standard click here

RobCharles1981 10:56 07 Oct 06

Well I went along with another player - Divix it works fine now, The Players I have are Windows Media 11 beta2, Winamp, Realplayer at the mo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…