Windows Media Player 10 - No longer any sound!

gripperfox 15:16 17 Jul 05

Hi, hope someone out there can help me coz this one's driving me mad. I have WMP 10 installed with XP Home SP2, and it used to work fine. It now gives every appearance of working, but there is no sound. The mute button is not depressed and the volume level is set at around 50%. In fact everything looks as it should.

I know it's not a problem with my sound card or drivers as every other application, including Winamp and Music Jukebox, play sound perfectly. The system sounds all work as they should.

Since I last knew WMP was working fine I have installed/removed several dozen trial and test applications, some audio related like RealMusic, and I am fearful something has altered a registry setting somewhere that WMP relies on. So I have downloaded and installed the latest version of it from Microsoft's site. But it makes no difference and it is no longer practical to go back too far and restore the registry.

An internet search reveals others have experienced similar problems but no solutions have been posted, at least, not that apply to my situation.

Can anybody help me before my barber is deprived of what little income he now gets from me?

PS WMP's mute button is *definitely not* activated!!

howard60 21:38 17 Jul 05

have you looked in sound systems in control panel? there are a lot of strange bits in there and 1 could be the culprit. Also have you checked in hardware - device manager for anything with a yellow exclamation mark? Have you checked all the entries in device manager for sound and seen if any of them have a strange setting - do not forget to view hidden objects as well.

gripperfox 10:06 18 Jul 05

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been through all the settings for the CP sounds and can find nothing amiss. There are 3 (hidden) settings in System hardware that have a yellow exclamation mark, but these appear to all be related to non-PnP devices relating to a serial port which I do not have. I have also re-installed codecs from K-lite - to no avail. But as everything else is producing sound as normal, I can't help thinking it must be directly WMP-related.

Grateful for all ideas, though. Anymore anyone?

donohue 13:48 18 Jul 05

Do you have sound with any other program? If not, try right clicking on sounds icon on bottom right of task bar. Open Volume control and check if any of mute boxes are ticked. Untick if they are. Also check in Options/properties for volume controls shown. You can also access this panel through start/control panel/sounds speech and audio devices. Hope this helps.

gripperfox 15:27 18 Jul 05

OK folks. Problem solved. I don't really understand why, but the problem was related to DirectX taking an installed Bluetooth Audio driver to heart. That wasn't a problem in itself but the fact that the Hardware Sound Acceleration level was set to 'full' in dxdiag caused WMP to sulk a bit. Setting the acceleration slider to 'none' has sorted the problem and it has even survived a reboot. I'm happy again. Thanks to those who offered advice or even just looked at my problem, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…