Windows Media Centre Problem

Madcooie 15:51 25 May 06

Hello All,

Just looking for some info regarding the above. Have just received my PC from Dell and it has Media Centre loaded on to it, basically it seems to be running my games fine and then it will "crash" and revert to desktop or lock-up for a period of 10-20 seconds. Is this purely a software issue or is it just that Media Centre isn't as stable at running demanding program/games like AutoCAD & Oblivion??? Any help would be much appreciated. Also, i tried to format it with a version of XP Home i had and it wouldn't let me do so...came up with an error (i forget which) and said to restart and try again..and again...and again!

Thanks and any suggestions/advice would be top notch! :D

Woolwell 16:12 25 May 06

Media Centre is basically Windows XP Pro with additions. I think that there is some other issue causing the system to crash. You don't state which Dell model so it could be processor, graphics or some other hardware fault. I would contact Dell support as this is a new machine.

I am not surprised that you had problems with your old copy of XP Home. Dell either provide a recovery disc or order it and pay a copy of XP.

Madcooie 16:34 25 May 06

Can't remember completely off hand the specs (at work) but it is a Dimension 9150:

Windows XP Media Centre Edition
Intel Pentium 4
ATI X1900 512mb

Any other details? Ask me and i'll try and find out

Woolwell 16:44 25 May 06

There could be a dual-core issue with a program. But I would contact Dell support asap as your crashes should not be happening.

Madcooie 12:15 26 May 06

thanks for your help...i am no expert but i am NEVER buying media centre/having it on my machine again! No end of problems for me!

Confab 12:20 26 May 06

Media Centre is just an extra bit of software tagged on to XP pro. If you don't click on the MC icon it won't run. I think your issues have nothing to do with this.

Madcooie 12:30 26 May 06

Where's the MC icon? And i spoke to my friend who says that Oblivion is optimised for dual cores so it should be running sweetly not reverting to desktop! Argh! Well i'm gonna call up dell and get them to send out an engineer!

gudgulf 12:34 26 May 06

For Oblivion problems have a look at click here

Also visit the official Oblivion Forums at click here

I think you have some configuration/driver/codec problems rather than intrinsic hardware faults.

Definitely worth contacting Dell might not be the only one with the same problem and there might be a fix available.

Madcooie 12:45 26 May 06

Well i'm at work just now so i'll try this when i get home! I've already phoned up Dell twice trying to resolve this issue and they basically say download the most up to date drivers...not much help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…