Windows Media Centre Edition

Confab 10:43 15 Feb 06

Hi,

I’ve recently been looking at Dell Dimension 9150 PC with an Intel® Pentium® D 930 Dual Core Processor 3.00GHz, 800MHz fsb, 2x2MB cache, 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (2x512) Memory and XP Home. Dell offered a free upgrade to XP Media Centre Edition 2005 with Intel® Viiv™ technology Intel® Pentium® D 930 Dual Core 3.00GHz,800MHz,2x2MB

I’ve looked into the Media Centre Edition and it appears that it has additional support for linking your pc to your TV and other media appliances. I can’t work out what the Intel Viiv thing is all about apart from some sort of platform that runs MCE.

I’ve got some questions that I hope you can help me with.

Is MCE just like XP home but with additional bits?

Will MCE slow the PC down with unnecessary tasks running in the background?

If I don’t like it can I uninstall it and install XP home or Pro or will the Viiv platform prevent this?

Is MCE any use if I don’t want to hook the PC up to any additional appliances?

I’m a bit worried because a used to have a PC that ran like a dream with Win98. I upgraded to ME and found it to be the worst operating system I’d ever used. I’m concerned I’ve gone down the same route with MCE.

Thanks in advance

Confab

Lettervanman 13:10 15 Feb 06

I thought you got XP Pro if you opt for MCE,that's what I have got on my box.

No problem with slow down,the MCE bit only runs when you want to use it,other times just use computer as normal.

If you dont want/need to hook up other appliances, then don't do it!
It's there if you want it.

Confab 15:16 15 Feb 06

Thanks very much.

Confab

brambles 15:43 15 Feb 06

My daughter has A Toshiba with XP Media Centre 2005 it is a TV in it's own right you merely have to connect it to an aerial socket with the lead that is included (Well it was with the Tosh)

I have to say setting the TV up wasn't easy but we did it eventually - obviously the high spec you have listed will cope with antything you throw at it - we only have 512 RAM.

Type Microsoft XP Media Center Edition 2005 in Google and look at the MCE web site - some tutorials etc.

Brambles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…