Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim?

noclue 04:37 09 Dec 06

When listening to programmes on the BBC website, when I run the BBC Radio Player a message saying "The website wants to run Windows Media 6.4 Media Player Shim add on from the Microsoft Corporation". This is an active x control but am not sure what it is for . The player seems to run fine without it. I recently updated to Internet Explorer 7 and am not sure if it has anything to do with that. I have searched around for information on this but am able to find anything that gives a clear explanation about what it is needed for and if it can cause any problems like some add ons can do.I have Windows Media Player 10 already installed and am not sure if this is has anything to do with it. Any advice appreciated

Diodorus Siculus 07:55 09 Dec 06

Get RealAlternative click here and install it; it includes a version of Media Player and will not conflict with any of your current setup. That should sort the problems.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:41 09 Dec 06

I suggest you just go ahead and install the Windows Media 6.4 Media Player Shim. It is probably just to allow the BBC Radio Player to function correctly. As you already have WMP10 I see no reason to use anything else as you already have the best media player, unless you want to update to WMP11.

noclue 04:14 13 Dec 06

Thanks for the advice. I really just wanted to know what this Windows 6.4 Media Player Shim add on actually was I have never heard of a shim, heck do they make any old word up lol! But I will download it thanks I just like to understand things better as I go along.

Fire Molecat 16:42 23 Jun 07

windows media 6.4 player shim is a translater for windows media player 9 it translates windows media player 6.4 player into a native windows bedia player 9 object model
use the Windows Media Player 9 ActiveX control (CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6)instead of the older Windows Media Player 6.4 ActiveX control. If this is not possible, do not set the Autostart parameter to false.

i just searched ^_^ glad to help but that media player is old any way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…