WINDOWS MEDIA

vicky2009 09:27 22 Apr 09

is this programme any good for burning DVD's? I was told to buy Nero 9 as this is the best but I dont want to buy it if there is no need (if that makes sense)....

OTT_Buzzard 10:21 22 Apr 09

It depends what format your current files are in.
If you are purely burning data dvd's then there no need for any additional software - just use the inbuilt winows functionality.

If you are converting files from one media type to another (e.g. avi to DVD Film format for use in a regualr non-pc dvd player) then Nero is a better option. That said, there are plenty of free programmes available to do it.

e.g. click here

vicky2009 10:25 22 Apr 09

Say I wante to burn a downloaded film onto DVD?

OTT_Buzzard 10:33 22 Apr 09

Quick Media Convertor from Cocoon Software.....no where near as good as Nero, but still better than a lot of alternatives!

vicky2009 10:36 22 Apr 09

Would you say Nero was the best?

OTT_Buzzard 11:47 22 Apr 09

Honestly I couldn't say if it's the best of all applications. I use it regularly and have never had a problem with it.

Obscurely, the cheapest way I've found of getting Nero is to buy a new DVD player for the PC. Some of the retail DVD players have it bundled in.

e.g. click here

Nero by itself from their online store costs £50. the DVD player is only £23. That said, I don't know if it's the same version.

PCArena.co.uk 14:32 22 Apr 09

Hi,

Although nero looks pretty and allows you to make nice menus and so on, in my experience its not stable and often will produce DVD's that don't work or DVD's with pumps and gaps in it.

I've found the best software to use is Convert X to DVD :
click here

not as fancy as nero but is quick and easy to use and will produce good stable DVD's from just about any format of downloaded content. cheap at £35 too !!

another option is to hook up your pc to your pc, what graphics card and tv do you have ?

click here - PCArena tech advice

rdave13 18:38 22 Apr 09

Try this freebie first; click here
After it converts, then burn the avi? film using the Movie DVD Maker burner instead of saving the iso file to disc first. Have a play around with it.

vicky2009 11:39 23 Apr 09

Thank you.

Question 2 - I wanted to download some music and was using Limewire but was told not to due to the number of virus's etc but now I dont know which site is the best.... any recommendations?

thanks

OTT_Buzzard 12:06 23 Apr 09

Biggest recommendation: don't use torrent sites for downloading copyrighted music!!!!!!

New laws coming in are making it a very hazzardous pass-time.

Stuartli 12:13 23 Apr 09

Cheapest way to buy Nero is:

click here

Nero9 requires .NET Framework 3.0.

Trial version at Nero website:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…