Windows ME wont shut down ???

chrisakaad 18:18 09 Jan 04

can anybody help me sort this little problem, my system crashed recently and I ended up having to re-format the hard-drive and re-installing everything. (my o/s is Windows ME)
Now everything is more or less back to normal (with the exception of the data I lost) but now when I come to shut down (start-shut down etc) the screen goes black, the moniter switches off but thats it (no 'its now safe to switch off your computer') and the machine stays on. I then have to press the reset switch to restart or pull the plug to switch off. I've had a look at previous suggestions on the discussion forum but nothing seems to work.

vinnyo123 20:15 09 Jan 04

what programs do you have running in the task bar.Something running may be preventing it from shutting down properly.Also check in the system configuration utility.Start>run>command>msconfig>startup tab>and see what is running .Be careful not to change anything if your not sure can get ugly....post back....

RLB 21:06 09 Jan 04

I have had the same problem for ages but have just upgraded to XP and so far everything is just fine. Tried all sorts before and nothing worked. XP upgrade gets thumbs up from me.

LastChip 22:29 09 Jan 04

When you are ready to shut down the computer, press; Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up Task Manager. Make a note of all running programs.

Now close down all programs (you will have shut down one at a time) except Systray and Explorer, and then see if ME shuts down properly.

If it does, use the same procedure each time you shut down, but add in one program at a time until you find the one that's causing the problem.

It may be a case of then uninstalling that program and reinstalling to cure the problem.

I use ME (and W2k) all the time, and have to say, that in spite of many contrary opinions, it is as solid as a rock!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…