Windows Me Will Not Load

onokeck 21:22 11 Aug 05

Here we go again ! I don't know how I get roped into these things but I do. A friend asked me to upgrade her IE to IE 6 to acommodate some software she had bought. No probs, I thought. So I downloaded IE 6 from the web and put the floppy into her PC. Loaded up IE 6 (but for some reason it asked me to be on line which I did and then it started Windows Update). After a long spell of loading it said it was completed and asked that I remove the floppy and restart the computer which I did. But now windows will not load. It goes through the boot procedures but when it gets to the winMe screen it freezes. I've played with everything I know and can't get the blasted windows to load. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I feel guilty, but honestly haven't done anything wrong to make this happen - HELLLLLP!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:33 11 Aug 05

If freezing when "blue bars" on screen then most likely a river conflict.

Will it boot to safe mode?

If so uninstall drivers one at a time until you find the one causing the fault.

I've spent days trying to update ME so best of luck :0)

VoG II 21:34 11 Aug 05

Will it start in Safe Mode click here

If so try a System Restore to before you tried this procedure.

If you want to upgrade IE do so on the machine that IE6 is to be installed on click here

onokeck 22:32 11 Aug 05

Will not start is safe mode. IE6 was downloaded from web on my PC to floppy. Setup was started from floppy on her machine. That shouldn't have any bearing I would have thought. It was NOT run on my pc, but saved to floppy.

VoG II 22:37 11 Aug 05

IE6 will not fit on several floppies let alone one. What you must have downloaded was the initial set-up file to download the full version of IE.

Try setting the BIOS to boot from the CD drive click here then reboot with the ME CD in the drive. You should be able to reload ME over itself.

woodchip 22:59 11 Aug 05

Run ME over its self, by starting with CD run setup

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…