Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…
I have recently loaded Wanadoo Broadband to my Windows ME computer. However, every day I have to use system restore and then it works and it's driving me nuts. Can anyone advise what to do. I have been to the Microsoft site and downloaded all updates. It has made my computer quicker but still need to use system restore. Any advise would be appreciated.
It says Error 650 "cannot get a dial-tone". Have spoken to Wanadoo and they say it's nothing to do with them but is my computer?
Why do I get the error message 'No dial tone detected'?
The problem is that your modem is unable to detect the dial tone of your phone line and so cannot make a connection. There are several reasons why this may happen:
* The modem may not be properly connected to the telephone socket. Check that all leads are securely fastened into their sockets
* The total REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) value of the devices on your phone line exceeds 4 (usually a phone or modem has a REN value of 1). The REN value can be found on the underside of your phone (eg, REN=1). If this is the case try removing all other devices and attempt to connect to the Internet again. If you can, plug each devise back in, one by one to see if you connection is impaired.
* You may have a service such as BT Answer 1571 enabled. If you have any messages the dial tone will change from a continuous tone to a stuttered tone. This 'confuses' the modem and causes the error message. The solution is to retrieve all your messages before you connect to the Internet
You can force the modem to dial without a dial tone by doing the following:
* Click on Start, go to Settings then Control Panel and click on Modems to launch the Modem Properties dialog box (In some versions of Windows you need to click on Phone and Modem Properties. If no modems are installed in Windows, the Modem Setup Wizard will start up to take you through the installation process. Follow the on screen instructions)
* Click on the Properties button
* Click on the Connection tab, then click in the box next to Wait for dial tone before dialling so the tick disappears
* Click on OK
article taken from here, good luck...........
Many many thanks your advice has been spot on. My computer is running like a dream. Cheers
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.